Alex Honnald - free soloing video

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakbagr

Reaction score
Holding my breath the last 90 sec watching this. Click off to avoid the ad in the last 10 seconds.
As capable as Alex is, it's scary to realize everyone eventually slips up at something where they are very capable. The consequences in this part of the climbing sport are final.

http://www.wimp.com/withoutrope/

If you saw the Banff world tour you may have seen Alex freesoloing in Yosemite on one of the short flicks...

Jay

Nat Geo has a good article on Yosemite climbing in the May issue. Cover photo shows Honnold on Thank God Ledge as well other very nice climbing photos inside.

JohnL

Freesoloing certainly takes a special breed. I was doing the route recompense on cathedral ledge one fine day and was about to lead the last pitch. This pitch is 5.9 and its a straight foward layback that you can protect very well. Anywho, I hear this heavy breathing and my first thought was man these guys are climbing fast to catch us. Then, this dude just saunters up to my belay alone and unroped, he politely ask if he can climb past us. I say yes and watch him fly up the last pitch, I admitt I was nervous for him. I climbed next and yes I used protection and while I climbed thought, he's got something I dont, I love my rope.:eek:

That is unreal, dizzying footage.

On a quick search I came up with this article from Alpinist.

I like the comment about his iPod at the end. :)

I don't even want to let go of the arms of my chair after watching that!

I noticed that as well. Just a guess - the sections that were filmed had likely been practiced ahead of time.

To quote from Alpinist "Honnold made the ropeless ascent on Tuesday, April 1, 2008. He had rehearsed the climb four times solo with a spool of fixed static line and a mini-traxion—twice on March 28 and twice again on March 29. "I'd eat lunch between [rehearsal ascents]," Honnold said casually; however, these back-to-back-to-back- to-back rehearsals within thirty-six hours are impressive in their own right: Moonlight is a Grade V climb with sustained difficulties—four of the last five pitches are 5.12a or harder. "

Usually it takes a good hard rain to wash away chalk marks.

This guy is a machine! I like him, I just hope he doesn't fall.
I agree. I like my rope.
Sandy

New National Geographic article

Take a look at the new National Geographic. Long section on Yosemite, free soloing, large chart of routes and histories, and Honnald and others free soloing. Fantastic how the state of the art of climbing is being pushed by these athletes.

Honnold is amazing.

This was part of the First Ascent series that was also aired on TV either on National Geographic Channel or Discovery or something along those lines last Fall. They also followed Honnold free soloing the Nose. Crazy. There was one portion where he was on a ledge (it was actually a scene in the beginning of this clip), and he freaked out for a little bit, had to take a breather, and then finished it up.

There was another episode of Dean Potter, who free solos, and then combined basejumping with climbing as a "safety" and for the thrill. Ridiculous. Absolutely amazing what people can do nowadays.