Is Road Open to Black Cap Trailhead?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksearl

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Was thinking of heading up to Black Cap this weekend. Does anyone know if the road is open to the Black Cap Trailhead (I believe it's Hurricane Road)? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Karl

Thanks for pointing me to the site, LRiz! Bummer the road isn't open yet!

Karl

Glad to be of help! Most of the roads open in mid-late May, so you should be able to get the hike in within a few weeks :cool:

Karl, if you really have your heart set on hiking to Black Cap before the road re-opens, then you might consider hiking up the Red Tail Trail. It's a mountain bike trail which begins on Hurricane Mountain Road just a short distance east from the Kearsarge North Trail and is near the spot where the road is gated. A couple of years ago I hiked this trail and found it generally to be okay, however there are some confusing side trails here and there. This trail is shown on the White Mountains Waterproof Trail Map published by Map Adventures and the mileage from the "trailhead" to Black Cap is listed as 2.0 miles.

Thanks Lefty E. I think I probably will.

John - I do have the Red Trail Trail under consideration. Also, I've started looking at some other possibilities instead of Black Cap too. Here are my choices:

Black Cap via Red Trail Trail
Peaked Mountain (with a possibility of heading to Middle too)
Stanton and Pickering
Mt. Pemigewasset
Monadnock or Pack Monadnock

Looking for something small for sure...Anyone have any thoughts on which are the best out of the list above?

Thanks,
Karl

Here's an answer and a question. Can't you hike Crammore ski area to the Cranmore Trail to Black Cap? This was something I was thinking of this past weekend but was unsure of how easy it would be to follow the Cranmore Trail. I guessing it's a road less traveled. I can only assume since there's a hiking trail starting from it's summit that Cranmore is OK with hikers.

Last edited:
Here's an answer and a question. Can't you hike Crammore ski area to the Cranmore Trail to Black Cap? This was something I was thinking of this past weekend but was unsure of how easy it would be to follow the Cranmore Trail. I guessing it's a road less traveled. I can only assume since there's a hiking trail starting from it's summit that Cranmore is OK with hikers.

I had no trouble route finding on this trail a couple summers ago. I did an out-n-back from the trail to Black Cap. From the top of the ski lifts, take the service road towards the antennae. The trail goes into the woods around there a little south of the tower.

Enjoy Black Cap, top 5 bang-for-your-buck peak when accessed from Hurricane Mtn. Road. Talk about easy....

Last edited:
Monadnock, if you stay away from the White Dot and White Cross trails. Do something like up White Dot, Cascade Link, Pumpelly and down Smith Summit, Ampitheather, Cliff Walk, Lost Farm back to Park. About 7 miles and you'll see a good portion of the mountain. Guaranteed to impress!!

Karl, if you really have your heart set on hiking to Black Cap before the road re-opens, then you might consider hiking up the Red Tail Trail. It's a mountain bike trail which begins on Hurricane Mountain Road just a short distance east from the Kearsarge North Trail and is near the spot where the road is gated. A couple of years ago I hiked this trail and found it generally to be okay, however there are some confusing side trails here and there. This trail is shown on the White Mountains Waterproof Trail Map published by Map Adventures and the mileage from the "trailhead" to Black Cap is listed as 2.0 miles.
Trailhead for Red Tail Trail is at the water tank at the bottom of the steep section on Hurricane Mountain Road. Look for a dirt pullout and dirt road on right just after a small bridge and across from a white farmhouse. Follow the dirt road to & around the water tank. Mileage to the summit of Black Cap is about 3 miles.

Peaked Mountain is also an excellent hike, very scenic summit. Middle Mountain is similar.

I hiked the Red tail trail last spring and found that route finding skills were required as there are numerous trails and old skidder paths that cross on the section were the trail diverges from the stream bed. There were not a lot of blazes and there were several spots where a fork in the trail required guess work. We made it up to the ridge but it did require attention on my part.

I hiked the Red tail trail last spring and found that route finding skills were required as there are numerous trails and old skidder paths that cross on the section were the trail diverges from the stream bed. There were not a lot of blazes and there were several spots where a fork in the trail required guess work. We made it up to the ridge but it did require attention on my part.
There are skidder paths that hikers sometimes take to shortcut the trail, but the mountain bike trail is very well-worn and is easy to follow, IMO. There are also two spots where there are optional lines but both are short and bring you to the same place no matter which option you take. Rule of thumb is to stay on the obvious singletrack and not follow skidder paths, which can lead you astray.

Hurricane Mountain Road opened last week, BTW.

There are skidder paths that hikers sometimes take to shortcut the trail, but the mountain bike trail is very well-worn and is easy to follow, IMO.

On that note.... not to get anybody's panties up between their crack, but keep a heads up and an ear out for cyclist as this a very popular trail for downhillers. For what it's worth among the local Mountain Biking Community it is consider bad etiquette to ride up or hike up with one's bike on a trail that has been designed for downhill cycling travel as this trail has. Do what you want but again look out!

On that note.... not to get anybody's panties up between their crack, but keep a heads up and an ear out for cyclist as this a very popular trail for downhillers. For what it's worth among the local Mountain Biking Community it is consider bad etiquette to ride up or hike up with one's bike on a trail that has been designed for downhill cycling travel as this trail has. Do what you want but again look out!

There's been some downhill features added in the past couple years but I've heard from the locals that this trail was originally designed to be ascended with the intent of giving single track access to Cranmore and Black Cap.

It is very rideable uphill although you'll have to be pretty strong to climb the entire trail without taking a rest :D

Good advice, as some of the downhill bikers go really fast. Pretty easy to hear them coming for the most part.

However, it is not bad etiquette to ride or hike up this trail, and it was NOT designed as a downhill trail. In fact it was designed as an alternative to riding up Hurricane Mountain Road; unfortunately most people prefer to ride down it. Personally I ride up more often than I go down it. If anyone gives you crap about going up a "downhill trail" you can tell them they are mistaken.

Good advice, as some of the downhill bikers go really fast. Pretty easy to hear them coming for the most part.

However, it is not bad etiquette to ride or hike up this trail, and it was NOT designed as a downhill trail. In fact it was designed as an alternative to riding up Hurricane Mountain Road; unfortunately most people prefer to ride down it. Personally I ride up more often than I go down it. If anyone gives you crap about going up a "downhill trail" you can tell them they are mistaken.

Thanks I stand corrected. Would not want to mess with one of the local builders.;):)