Baxter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lefty E

Reaction score
I saw on Channel 6 WCSH a report that Baxter may open later than sooner this year due to high levels of snow on the trails and a lot of maintenance at the campgrounds...video showed a staff member chainsawing a pine off the roof of a leanto...

Are there any Ktaadn 'trailcams' other than the one 50 miles away??

That one may be only 49 miles away.

The NEOC cam is just north of the Painted Rock on your way into Baxter.

I bet Katahdin Stream, Abol, and South Branch will be open on the 15th, along with the cabin campgrounds at Daicey and Kidney Pond. The tote road will probably be gated north of Foster Field. Don't know about the Roaring Brook side.

The NEOC cam is just north of the Painted Rock on your way into Baxter.

Yep, Twin Pine is on the south shore of Millinocket Lake. Less than 49 miles away. Less than 20 for that matter. :)

Right here.

Got fond memories of staying there for a couple family vacations in the mid 90s before NEOC bought them out. Waking up to that view doesn't suck.

Last edited:
A few years ago we were shut out of a Russell Pond trip on Memorial Day weekend because of snow and high water. Since this was a heavy snow year, it's possible the situation may be repeated.

Memorial Day is never a sure thing in some parts of BSP.

I called HQ today and was told they're holding off on booking May reservations until a Park wide survey is made the end of this week and through the weekend. It doesn't look good for east side trails.
Here's a list of dates regarding the opening of the Katahdin's Hunt Trail to Baxter Peak:
'10 May 25th
'09 May 20th for both Hunt and Abol.
'08 May 29th (Park had canceled May 15th opening)
'07 May 31st
'06 May 18th (Abol May 15th)
'05 June 4th
'04 May 16th
'03 May 24th
'02 May 15th (Day hikers summited via Abol May 10th)
'01 prior to May 20th
'00 Memorial Day Weekend
'99 May 18th (per South Walker '99)
These aren't "official," they're just dates from my hiking log.