VFTT 5K anyone??

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VFTTop'r

Reaction score
Anyone for the idea of a VFTT 5K Race/fun run/walk (w/non-cotton t-shirts) for cancer research? I have no idea how to organize this. Anyone interested in taking on such a task?

Why not! I can give you some suggestions after sort of organizing a hike for charity (Dayhiking the Devil's Path in the catskills to benefit the Brain Tumor Society) Although if you're doing a 5K on public roads, you'll need some official support from the town(s). And if you do that, you'll probably need event insurance and a lot more formal than what I did. Since we were already hiking state land, we didn't need official permission being a dayhike. I would say first, gauge interest, choose a location and date and start early getting permission and insurance should you still chose to go ahead with this. Get volunteers to handle enrollment, membership, the t-shirt stuff, and of course, event day support.

Of course, coordinate with the charity of your choice too. It's a bit of work for one, so I'd suggest if you get enough interest in this, then solicite volunteers. Start small too. If it's going to be beyond VFTT and it'll probably be, you'll need flyers and publicity too.

Don't be surprised if your "small little event" will grow and you might need more support than you're intention.

Seeing your profile being in NH, I'm assuming you're looking at doing this in that area?

Jay

I was thinking of a 5K going from somewhere N of Franconia Notch on Rt 3 and ending at Living Waters Campground on Rt 302. It's a nice run on a clear day with Washington in front of you.

Cool. I think the hardest part might be getting permission from the towns. I know some of the folks who run bike events and they say it gets harder every year to run bike events because the towns just don't appreciate that.. NIMBYs (Not in My BackYard types).

Plus, it might be interesting to do something unique, I think our hike for charity is fairly unique in that there aren't that many hikes to benefit charity.

If you can keep it small and VFTT ish, you might be able to get away without ins. I know I didn't bother getting it because I was only doing this through VFTT or word of mouth and I presumed that all of us are hikers and know how to take care of ourselves. If you do open the 5k to others, that might not be the case.

Anyway, I commend you for stepping forward, it's probably not an easy job but thumbs up for doing it. If I wasn't like 6 hours away, I'd offer to help...

Jay