Moving out West.....and bye-bye hike 5/21

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mats Roing

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

After much deliberation I decided to accept a controller position for a non-profit close to Bozeman, Montana. I went to college there a couple of years ago ;) , ran my first 50-miler there, got la....anyway, I got the last campsite (#8) at Barnes Field for May 20-21....it's a small site unfortunately.....anyone who wants to stop by is welcome to....the moving van is leaving Boston on June 9th but I wanted to time this hike before a number of climbers/hikers are heading to Europe and Rainier etc over Memorial Day weekend.....I'm not going to do a lengthy speech about my Love for the hiking community and the White Mountains.....let's just hike like we always done and always will do :) Hugs are always welcome of course :)

The plan is to do a Pressie Traverse on Sunday 5/22. 7am start from Appalachia. We will place cars at Jackson Trail on the south end of the ridge according to nr of hikers. Let me know if you can spot a car on your own.

Shake and Bake!

Mats

Trail running south of Bozeman (2007) - almost as good as the Whites:
IMG_0283.jpg

Last edited:
Hey! Congratulations! and best wishes. Montana/Wyoming is one of four geographic parts of the country I am spending more and more of my retirement ... time and money ... and Bozeman is a great base camp. You'll enjoy new mountain ranges in no time but, yes, the hiking community here is wonderful but as you may have noticed, not confined to the Whites.

Congratulations and good luck, Mats.

Thanks for all of the terrific entertainment you provided to us all. I'm looking forward to enjoying your western adventures postings. I have a feeling your time here was just a warm-up.

Shake and bake - buddy!

Congratulations on the job and good luck on the move! You won't be that far, you'll still be on I-90, just around exit 2394. :)

The mountains around there look amazing, I can't wait to read your TRs and see photos.

When the Vulcans arrive & make first contact in Bozeman, we'll be in good shape if it's you they find. Glögg for everyone!

Good luck Mats !
That's wicked awesome.
Might take another crack at Granite Peak next year so, might be crashing your place !
BTW; a few of us, who had to bail on Rainier, will be staying at Barnes on memorial day weekend and doing a prezzie traverse, if you decide to swap weekends.

As always, S&B :)

My wife’s cousin lives in Bozeman and they keep asking us to visit, and Scotty does hike and backpack. I will see him in August for a wedding in NH and tell him to keep an eye out for a Super Hiker in the area.

So now I have to fly to Montana if I want to share a cookie?

Kool..awesome place..if you don't already be sure to take up skiing and don't forget your zircon encrusted tweezers!:D Best of Luck:)

Good luck and congrats for the job Mats !

We can't make it on the 21st (sister in-law's wedding), too bad we won't have a chance to see you before you leave... That hot tub party will last forever in my memory ;)

So close to Yellowstone, Teton's ! Lucky you :cool:

Goodbye Mats !

The playgrounds out there might not be as daunting as the Whites.....but it's not too shabby....

Gannett%20Peak%20summit.jpg

I will miss you guys a whole bunch of bundles though......that's the big issue......

Last edited:
Damn, no more random Swedish chef encounters on the trail!? "Who was that masked man!?" "I dunno, but he makes killer meatballs!" :D

Best of luck on this next great adventure. As my forefathers would say "Bonne chance, mon amie"....sorry, don't know how to translate French to Swedish though. :p

Brian

Last edited:
Mats, best of luck.

You gotta eat the food when it's on the table.