Swimming in the White Mountains?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becca M

Reaction score
Thinking ahead to summer :) and trying to get some ideas here for swimming spots in the White Mountains during summer!!!!

Last summer I enjoyed taking a swim after hiking and found a few good spots close to parking and my drive back (the 93 corridor). Some that I liked: Echo Lake at the end of the day (not crowded), off exit 26 at the Smith River Covered Bridge (nice sandy beach, not crowded, rope swing :)), and Livermore Falls near the Holderness School, some spots along the Kanc. etc.

This year I plan to swim (submerge) more on-trail – ponds or rivers—when the weather is HOT and the water levels allow it :). But, I am concerned about leeches ☹ . Some ponds seem filled with them!!! For instance, Flat Mountain Pond looks like it’s swarming!!! What about the East ponds – they look good? Greeley Ponds? Lakes of the Clouds? Gem Pool? I’ve dipped in Little River – very refreshing!!! Of course, I don’t want to drown during a high water time and I don’t like swamps….. Without divulging any secret stashes, do you have any spots in mind that are refreshing but not filled with leeches or over-filled with people?

While I haven't had the chance to actually swim there, since it was late fall, the Emerald Pool on the Baldfaces Loop looks like it would be absolutely amazing. The water looked crystal clear with a nice sandy bottom. I plan on hitting it this summer at some point.

It's no secret: Speck Pond. It's cold, but that means no leeches. And of course the Emerald Pool up at the Baldfaces, perfectly placed for the end of a long, hot summer hike above treeline.

Just noticed Emerald Pool was already mentioned, so I will throw out a classic: Tumbledown in Maine.

Last edited:
No leeches in Gem Pool, or the Lakes Lakes (although they discourage swimming/dunking there due to the amount of traffic they get).

The pool where the Webster Jackson trail crosses Silver Cascade is mighty refreshing, too.

A few years back when we took our boys hiking there, East Pond was loaded with leeches.:( Also broken glass from some of the not so bright people that partied there.

I try to swim after every summer hike..cant stand the smell of myself..

favorites include

and never seen a leech in any of these rivers

the big pot hole onMount Clinton Road (jefferson side)

the Eddy on route 49

echo lake is great

just north of the bridge on 16 near Stoney Brook Trailhead

saco river off west side road near the ledges

several paces off the kanc

there is a nice "bathtub" hole just upstream from the bridge at zealand parking lot

emerald pool is nice but too far from the road

there is a great spot behind the campsites at Waterville campground

and a few secret ones out there as well....

cant wait..who will take the first dunk!!!

Although I hear it is many times crowded on a hot summer day, Diana's Baths was a fantastic end after the North Moat/Red Ridge loop. Most people seemed to hang down low, so stay at the higher up tubs.

Last edited:
There are leeches in Greeley Ponds. I took a walk there with my boys last summer and as soon as we got to the first pond we saw some. They were the first leeches we have seen.

Just noticed Emerald Pool was already mentioned, so I will throw out a classic: Tumbledown in Maine.

Yes, Tumbledown Pond is awesome, but there are leeches. :eek:

Since you are talking Western Maine, Long Pond between Route 17 and Route 4 on the AT is fantastic. There is a picnic table right at the pond and a nice, sandy beach, especially if you go a tad to the right.

Marty

There are some excellent dippable holes in the Pemi North Fork along the Ethan Pond Trail in the vicinity of the Shoal Pond Trail junction. You'll get plenty of privacy if you choose a spot some yards from the trail screened by vegetation.

On the way to Speck Mtn

On the way to Old Speck trailhead are two stops for waterfalls. The falls on the left side (might be called Mother Walker Falls) are a great dip in spot for kids and adults.

Whiteface Brook, along the Signal Ridge Trail, has some nice places for a dip. On a very hot day hiking Carrigain last summer the brook provided an extremely welcome cooldown before the drive home.

After hiking Carrigain last year with Becca, no not this one, we took a dip just upstream from the parking lot next to the trailhead. It was secluded enough to go sans kilt. The Eddy on 49 is my favorite because I live next door. If you go after 6:00pm, all the tourist are gone and it is just a few people.

Ooh, forgot another one in Western ME. The first two miles of the Wright Trail up to Goose Eye parallels Bull Branch. This stream has a whole bunch of swimming holes and cascades. Great to stop here after a steep climb up/down Goose Eye. Highly recommended.

Here ya go! :D

http://www.newenglandwaterfalls.com/swimmingholes.php

My favorites (these all have waterfalls w/them):
Upper Falls of Ammo (only in low/medium water)
Rattlesnake Pool
Emerald Pool on the Baldfaces
Swiftwater Falls (Bath)

There are more swimming sites with no waterfalls. As mentioned above, www.swimmingholes.org is the best reference.

If you want the most private swimming holes, backpack into #13 falls on a 85-90 degree day during the week and do some light bushwacking.

Last edited:
When I most want a dip is kind of halfway through the hike when I've done the uphill in the humidity and really need to cool off, by evening it is usually cooler and I've been walking downhill. Most summits don't have ponds, but one time it was so hot and humid that I only hiked to Harvard Falls then bushwhacked upstream to find a secluded pool above.

I used to plan a hike in an area with an evening lecture by a local historical society which made it desirable to wash off between. One time I swam in Chocorua Lake which had a beautiful sand beach but even by evening had enough people that I swam in clothes.