new info on black bears

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B the Hiker

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Who doesn't like reading about bears? New article in today's New York Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/11/science/11bears.html

The study also found, contrary to popular perception, that the black bears most likely to kill are not mothers protecting cubs. Most attacks, 88 percent, involved a bear on the prowl, likely hunting for food. And most of those predators, 92 percent, were male.

“Mother bears, whenever they feel threatened or a person is too close, they act very aggressively,” said Stephen Herrero, the study’s lead author. “They make noise, they swat the ground with their paws and they run at people. They want to make you think that they’ll eat you alive, but they almost always stop.”

By contrast, “the kind of bear you need to be afraid of is not feeling threatened by you — it’s testing you out as a possible prey item,” said Dr. Herrero, a professor emeritus at the University of Calgary. “It’s quiet. It stalks you just like a lion might stalk you.”

Brian

Who doesn't like reading about bears? New article in today's New York Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/11/science/11bears.html

The study also found, contrary to popular perception, that the black bears most likely to kill are not mothers protecting cubs. Most attacks, 88 percent, involved a bear on the prowl, likely hunting for food. And most of those predators, 92 percent, were male.

“Mother bears, whenever they feel threatened or a person is too close, they act very aggressively,” said Stephen Herrero, the study’s lead author. “They make noise, they swat the ground with their paws and they run at people. They want to make you think that they’ll eat you alive, but they almost always stop.”

By contrast, “the kind of bear you need to be afraid of is not feeling threatened by you — it’s testing you out as a possible prey item,” said Dr. Herrero, a professor emeritus at the University of Calgary. “It’s quiet. It stalks you just like a lion might stalk you.”

Brian

Now that's reassuring! ;)

Love reading about bears. Thanks for posting this.

Nice article glad you posted it. I have come across black bear or two over the years always an interesting encounter. Been "woofed" or 'huffed" at a couple of times. Admittedly I was plenty scared each time, though nothing became of it.
Interesting about the mother with cubs not the most likely to make an attack, though I wouldn't want to be the one when she might change her mind and say this time I'm not bluffing...

Thankfully Colbert was only briefly mentioned...I would rather be charged by a bear.

No offense but stuff like this creates unnecessary anxiety for the inexperienced or uninformed. :)
Huh?! If anything, these numbers re-enforce my belief that bears are generally not a threat to hikers.

I've encountered a sow with cubs, and several other bears. Based on their behavior, I never felt like I was in any danger.

Huh?! If anything, these numbers re-enforce my belief that bears are generally not a threat to hikers.

I've encountered a sow with cubs, and several other bears. Based on their behavior, I never felt like I was in any danger.

It will be taken by the general public as AACCCKKK, lets now go erradicate the bears from NJ and wipe them off the face of the earth now...

Jay

Hey just give em a yell n smack em in the mug if he gets in yur face! That's how we deal with em on the subways.

You're not "inexperienced or uninformed".

The fear of bears I pick up on from my non-ADK hikers when we talk is huge. One of the first things I am asked is if the bears bother me or if I have encountered bears. :)

No offense but stuff like this creates unnecessary anxiety for the inexperienced or uninformed. :)

While I agree with part of your statement, anxiety in itself is not unhealthy, its actually a usefull emotion to let you know your in unfamiliar terrortory. Besides there is no such thing as bad information, inexperienced hikers need to read items like this and learn. Although nothing prepares you like a real encounter. Ive been lucky, Ive had more then my share of bear encounters (all black) and find them not to hard to deal with to be honest, I have gone as far has to plink one that wouldnt clear the trail I was on with a stick to move him out of my way. Only once did I meet a bear that made me back up. that was on the attitash trail off bear notch road, he growled at me, I growled back at him, he reared up on his hind legs growling, I backed off and surrended the trail to him, he earned it. Overall black bears are not scary or dangerous, unless like with most animals your scared shitless and show it.:eek:

Good information, since one was spotted outside my son's school just a few days ago.

Last edited: