Grand Canyon Rim-to-Rim hike in October

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawsofmotion

Reaction score
Hi

I am planning a hike in the Grand Canyon with a friend in late September and early October of this year. This will be my second trip to the Canyon. I was there in January of this year and stayed at Phantom Ranch and did some day hikes from there. If you have been there before, you will understand that I started to think about a return trip my first night in the Canyon.

I am fairly aware of the risks of hiking in the Canyon and the procedure for getting a back country permit. My friend and I are experienced, strong White Mountain hikers, and we will be comfortable on the Corridor Trails. We are open to different itineraries that might include Bright Angel, North Kaibab, South Kaibab (descent only). My question is simple. For those of you who have hiked Rim-to-Rim, what are the advantages and disadvantages of starting from the North or the South Rim? I'm wondering very broadly in terms of travel logistics to and from the Canyon, views during the hike, camping and accommodations at the Rims pre and post hike, etc. Maybe it doesn't matter if we start at the North or South Rim since it is a spectacular place to be, but I still thought I would throw this out to this wonderful group for advice.

Once we get our back country permit approved (fingers crossed), I'll be back for advice on gear and other fun stuff!

Thank you,
Mary

If you have been there before, you will understand that I started to think about a return trip my first night in the Canyon. Mary

Mary, I did a traverse from the North Rim in 1979 and ended up going back in 1980 ... that's how much I enjoyed it! From memory only, I recall that the North Rim is about 1000 ft. higher than the South. It's about 14 mi. down to the river, and 9 mi. (or 6 mi.) up, depending on your route of ascent ... easy choice ... north to south. We arranged for an airport rep to pick us up at the South Rim and fly back across to the landing strip. You'll still need another lift back to your car (North Rim) from there. That service is available also.

The minimum "comfortable" hike across is (3) days. We used (4) to spend more time exploring below. Having been there before, you know that drinking LOTS of water is important ... whether you need it or not. I learned that the first day in the canyon. If tenting, be sure you use a self-standing one. The canyon floor is very hard. Have fun!

Dave, let me know when you want to attempt it.* If you can run Boston, you can do the R2R2R!! :D I was WAY more sore after the former!!

*Seriously :)

Thank you!!

Thanks David and Dennis. Hopefully I"ll have some beautiful pictures to post in October!!

-Mary

north to south

We hiked in October 2009 from North Rim to South Rim. Our car was at South Rim...we took the 5 hour shuttle ride to begin at the North Rim staying overnight in one of the cabins. Don't miss Ribbon Falls..it's off the trail but worth the visit.

The next year I went back in May and we went down South Kabob Trail.....utterly spectacular! This time instead of camping we stayed in the cabins...much better choice. AC, hot water, showers, toilet..totally worth the $37 a night fee. Both times we came out the Bright Angel Trail. Not much of a wilderness experience with the crowds but at least there is water on the trail.