Best Rainy Day Hikes in Whites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwinMom+1

Reaction score
Apologies for asking a old question:
With rain forecast for this Sunday, what's your favorite 5-10 mi. hike in the Whites in the rain, in this buggy, muddy pre-season?

Itching to hit a trail this weekend with the fam.
Cabot?
Passaconaway?
What about Willey?

thanks so much - TwimMom+1
[email protected]

Garfield. Not too many slippery, rutty roots on that trail, either.

Waumbek. Really. No water crossings, and the woods between Starr King and Waumbek are absolutely gorgeous in the misty grey.

There are a few good threads on the subject here and here.

All three of the peaks you mentioned are great rainy day hikes. In fact, most of the 4k peaks are! The only thing you really need to look out for are the water crossings if 2+ inches of rain is expected over the course of the day... ;)

If it doesn't have to be a 4k, and it's really pouring, our family always goes for a waterfall! Sometimes we do a hiking / driving waterfall tour.

Other thoughts -
Greeley Ponds from Waterville Valley

Pemi Trail from the Basin up to Lafayette CG, to Echo Lake, to Cannon, then back down again. Lots of water to be seen!

Arethesa Falls, Frankenstein Cliff loop

Have fun.

Depends how wet. Did Whiteface & Passaconaway in a bad rain storm, Whiteface was brutal, parts of passaconaway bad but other parts drained well. crossngs could be an issue with melting snow also.

Waumbek is good even in heavy rain. Agree on waterfall destination.

Pierce is good too, just enough exposure even in wind to say, this would be bad higher or longer out there but shelter is close by.

Greeley from Route 112 can be pretty wet.

For rainy day hikes I usually choose a waterfalls hike. Zealand Falls and Thoreau Falls are two of my favorites.

At this time of year, in the rain, a short hike to a raging river or a waterfall sounds like a great idea. However, 5 to 10 miles in the White Mountains, in the rain. No. It's hypothermia weather. I'd rather stay home.

At this time of year, in the rain, a short hike to a raging river or a waterfall sounds like a great idea. However, 5 to 10 miles in the White Mountains, in the rain. No. It's hypothermia weather. I'd rather stay home.

Rain does not cause hypothermia.

If it's cold and raining outside, and you were warm and dry under your clothes and gear, how could you get hypothermia?

Days like today are good for long, flat walks to a pond or a waterfall.

Heading up into the Great Gulf could be fun. The stream (river?) is very pretty.

The Peabody floods very easily. I've been stuck on the wrong side after a long night of rain, and had to wade across an area that was below my ankles on the way in.

I like to hike to where I can take shelter for lunch. It's too late for your Sunday hike, which I hope you enjoyed. If it is rainy and cold I try to stay below tree line.

Nobody has talked about equipment. If it is warm and rainy (or if I'm working hard on an uphill) I would rather have the rain cool me down and get me wet rather than wearing a rain jacket which I'd get wet under by being too warm. I've learned the joys of hiking with an umbrella, and would recommend one with a long handle that could slip in through the sternum strap to waist strap. I was afraid that would be uncomfortable, but it wasn't, probably because I have enough "gristle." :p I've heard that pack covers don't work well, but I'm a fan. I forgot mine yesterday and used a tarp poncho to cover my pack. On the trip down, I knew I would be cooler so wore my rain attire.

Oh really? Please elaborate. I'm eager to hear this.

ok since you asked I will. Improper equipment and lack of overall hiking knowledge related to hiking in inclement weather causes hypothermia. Ive been hiking in the rain for years and have never had hypothermia.:p

The OP was asking about the weekend just gone by, so I assume the question applies to a wet, cloudy day this month. I would avoid anything with a water crossing right now, or bring extra foot wear to prepare for completely soaking your feet to cross. Water is at or above record highs just about everywhere in the region this year. Here is my report from yesterday attempting to get to Bigelow/Sugarloaf (Maine).
http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=40464

( I was not sure where to put that so I put it in the trail conditions section).

In more typical conditions, if I want to summit something on a cloudy or showery day, I go to places
1.) closest to home (no need to drive all the way to New Hampshire for me to look at the inside of a cloud, it looks the same from Camel's Hump which is much closer to me) (I avoid Mansfield in the rain, something about Green Mountain rock is much slicker then White Mountain or Adirondack rock, and Mansfield has allot of exposed rock).
2.) A peak where I have seen the view before so I do not miss anything new
3.) A peak that follows a brook, the brooks are worth the price of admission themselves some days.
4.) A tree mountain with limited distant views anyway like Cabot, Waumbek, et al

This time of year I also looking to avoid snow as much as possible so I also look for southern slopes.

Yesterday I wound up going up Waumbek since it met all of my criteria and happened to be most convenient for me as well.

If it is pouring rain for the whole day based on forecast I just do not hike. If it is just showery (like yesterday) it can be worth going. Sometimes you can steal the prettiest views on wet days. The mountains north of Waumbek had the smokey mountain look yesterday, as New Hampshire was in a relatively dry patch of weather yesterday afternoon. The sun did not come out, but at one point I could see my shadow (it was trying), and it stayed dry for my entire hike.

One other note, I drove my the Appalachia TH yesterday and zero, 0, no cars (vehicles of any kind) there. I can't recall ever seeing that before, I regret not taking a picture, so you will just have to take my word for it. Lots of great water fall hikes & loops from there on a rainy day.