White Mountain NF - Saco Ranger District - Trail Adopting

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooperhill

Reaction score
As you may know, USFS trail crews are in short supply this year. I adopt trails and volunteer through the USFS Saco District. I wanted to share with you the list of open trails in the Saco District.

Please contact Cristin Bailey at 603-447-5448 x112 or [email protected] for further details on these trails (mileage, sections open, basic responsibilities, training, etc.).

Bog Brook Trail
Black Mountain Trail
Brunel Trail
Church Pond Trail
Cold Brook Trail
Doublehead Ski Trail
Downes Brook Trail
Dry River Trail
Great Brook Trail
Guinea Pond Trail (Sandwich Side)
Livermore Trail
Hancock Notch Trail (Kanc Side)
Isolation Trail East/West
Miles Notch Trail
Mt. Eisenhower Trail
Nanamocomock Ski Trail
Nickerson Ledge Trail
Oliverian Brook Trail
Pine Bend Brook Trail
Rainbow Trail
Sawyer River Trail
Square Ledge Branch Trail
Wenonah Ski Trail
Wenunchus Ski Trail
Wonalancet Range Trail

I asked the guy who posted the Pemi list whether training was required or optional and never got an answer

"Skills Day" training for adopters every 3 years. Axe training every year if using an axe. Chainsaw training well it's available but not many people make use of it. I find it's not necessary.

Also, USFS volunteer adopters who work and track (via reports - at least 2 annually) 16 hours are awarded an Annual Recreation Pass for use in the White Mountains.

Additionally Saco adopters who attend training (coming up May 21 and June 4) get an commemorative Weeks Act Centennial T-shirt.

Last edited:
Thanks, u&c

I could do some extra trailwork weekdays but don't have weekends to spare for training, in particular June 4 is National Trails Day when there are already too many choices

I went to the ATC chainsaw training years ago in VT, the instructor was a real artist and many of his tips were equally good for hand sawing

Thanks, u&c

I could do some extra trailwork weekdays but don't have weekends to spare for training, in particular June 4 is National Trails Day when there are already too many choices

In my first year of trail adopting I missed the trainings. One of the FS Saco trail crew went out to my trail with me to do some basic training and it allowed me to get going right away (I then attended regular training in the spring).

They are pretty flexible.

Received an update on adoptable trails in the mail yesterday with my White Mountain NF parking pass for volunteering (hint hint).

This is for the Saco Ranger district:

Saco Trails / Mileage
Black Mountain Trail 2.2
Blackberry Crossing Interpretive trail 0.1
Bog Brook Trail 2.8
Church Pond Trail 1.1
Cold Brook Trail 4.9
Doublehead Ski Trail 1.8
Downes Brook Trail 6.0
Dry River Trail 9.6 (? on this since it's still closed)
Guinea Pond Trail 2.4
Isolation Trail 5.3
Livermore Trail 2.1
Miles Notch Trail 3.2
Nanamocomock Ski Trail 16
Nickerson Ledge Trail 0.8
Oliverian Brook Trail 4.4
Rainbow Trail 2.5
Square Ledge Branch Trail 0.5

Contact Cristin Bailey, 603-447-5448, X112 [email protected] if interested in adopting.

Chainsaw ... well it's available but not many people make use of it. I find it's not necessary.

To use a chainsaw in a National Forest the person needs to be a certified USFS "Sawyer"

on a side note: after relocating to the Augusta, GA area 6 years ago, I mentioned "trail adoption" to the local mt bike club. We now have all 150 miles of trail adopted.

To use a chainsaw in a National Forest the person needs to be a certified USFS "Sawyer"

on a side note: after relocating to the Augusta, GA area 6 years ago, I mentioned "trail adoption" to the local mt bike club. We now have all 150 miles of trail adopted.

Clarification on my original post. I was referring to chainsaw training not chainsaw use.

Nice work on the trails. Have several friends who do trailwork for bike clubs.

Yes, these are sections under the direct responsibility of the Saco Ranger District. To my knowledge, these are not WODC, AMC, etc. trails/trail sections.

Last edited:
Yes, these are sections under the direct responsibility of the Saco Ranger District. To my knowledge, these are not WODC, AMC, etc. trails/trail sections.
That's my understanding as well. Looking at the list, I believe all the trails are marked with standard USFS signs. "Cooperator" trails will usually bear the initials of the cooperator, as well as USFS.