Quebec City: hiking and other things to do

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marty

Reaction score
Bonjour!

My wife and I are thinking of heading up to Quebec City for a few days this summer.

We would greatly appreciate if anyone could give us tips on hiking opportunities and other things to do in that area.

We are also wondering if we can get by OK without knowing the French language. Our French will be limited to my wife's high school classes (she remembers little) and a French-English dictionary.

Thanks in advance :)

Marty

Language won't be an issue.

Definitely have some poutine.

The Old City is a great place to explore on foot.

Montmorency Falls are pretty cool.

If time allows, drive north along the St. Lawrence. Wonderful hiking in the Sanguenay region and many other spots along the way. It's a beautiful drive, too. Hiking around Mount-Sainte-Anne is nice, as well, and nearby.
You will shake your head at Montmorency Falls, for the contrast of their scale/beauty with the man-caused detritus around them. You can drive to near the top and appreciate their beauty without shelling out the bucks for both parking and the tourist staircase trudge at the bottom.
Ferry ride to Levis is fun and gives great views back to the city. Ile D'Orleans is lovely, in an understated way.
Language is not an issue near the city but some rough French is needed occasionally in the smaller towns to the north. Be sure to see the lower city.
It's a great place for a vacation! Have fun.

I agree with Mt. St. Anne. We hiked there a number of years back when the ski area was partially open. Arriving at the summit, two shocked women couldn't believe we hiked up and said to us, "Take the lift down or you won't get out before dark." We thanked them and chuckled.

We also loved the fort in the city. Suggest seeing some re-enactment movies before you go.

About speaking French, I agree that the city area is English friendly, but I think it is fun to have some words and phrases that you understand and can speak.

Hi Marty,

Comment vas tu? I've been to Quebec City a few times and love it there. It's a beautiful city with wonderful people. I'm going to differ a little bit with the previous comments and say that knowing French would help. Quebec is nothing like Toronto. Quebec is a very provincial place and the people are defiantly French. I'll argue that you'll find more English speaking people in European cities (Paris, Berlin, Rome, etc) than you will in QC. And as RickB said, it's an even greater problem in the countryside. If you visit La Musee de la Civilisation (very worthwhile if you're into that kind of thing) you'll learn more about their culture. Language barriers aside, you'll really enjoy your trip.

I'd recommend a visit to La Marche on the waterfront, which is a cleaner, higher quality version of Haymarket Square. As far as outdoors stuff goes, Le Parc du Jacques Cartier is about an hour north of the city and is very much worth exploring. And if you go north of that, towards Alma or Sanguenay you'll be riding thru a gorgeous fir and balsam forest that has many backwoods logging roads and ponds to explore. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a map of those roads so hike them with care.

Some French phrases to know are;

Où est la salle de bains?
Puis-je avoir une bière?
Les Boston Bruins battre Les Habitants! ;)

Maybe you should skip that last one! Amusez-vous bien!

bob

Regarding seeing the fort and walking the battlefield, some reading or watching movies ahead of your trip might add to your enjoyment.

Kenneth Roberts is my favorite writer of the history. Although novels, his books are accurately based on history. I'd suggest balancing March to Quebec or Northwest Passsage with Oliver Wisell from the Tory perspective.

For movies on the "Seven Years War" try The Battle of the Brave, and History Warfare; The French and Indian War.

Last edited:
I'm going to differ a little bit with the previous comments and say that knowing French would help. Quebec is nothing like Toronto. Quebec is a very provincial place and the people are defiantly French. I'll argue that you'll find more English speaking people in European cities (Paris, Berlin, Rome, etc) than you will in QC. And as RickB said, it's an even greater problem in the countryside. If you visit La Musee de la Civilisation (very worthwhile if you're into that kind of thing) you'll learn more about their culture. Language barriers aside, you'll really enjoy your trip.

Knowing even a little bit of a foreign place's native tongue will always be to your advantage and will help you to enjoy the experience even more. In my experience, locals appreciate even your most modest attempts to speak their language. That said, it is definitely not essential that you know French to enjoy Quebec, whether you're in the urban areas or not.

Hi Marty !

If you have time, try hiking in Charlevoix : Mont du Lac des Cygnes, Parc des Hautes-Gorges.

Take the ferry accross the St.Laurence River instead of the bridge, for pretty views of Chateau Frontenac (Traversier Québec-Lévis)

Good poutine : Chez Ashton (many locations, nothing fancy-more fast-food place but very authentic).

Also : Le moulin à images. I heard A LOT of good about it. http://lacaserne.net/index2.php/other_projects/the_image_mill/

I second Chutes Montmorency, and try a little visit on Ile d'Orléans, it's so pretty, with many tasty local product.
http://www.iledorleans.com/eng/tourisme-ile-dorleans.asp

Don't worry about not speaking french, you are so friendly everybody will be happy to do the effort and try speaking english with you !

Have a nice trip :)

Some French phrases to know are;

Où est la salle de bains?
Puis-je avoir une bière?
Les Boston Bruins battre Les Habitants! ;)

Maybe you should skip that last one! Amusez-vous bien!

bob

Bob,

Thanks for the helpful hints. I went into Google, got English translations and laughed out loud. I do think phrase 2 typically is typically spoken before phrase 1, though ;) :rolleyes:

Don't worry about not speaking french, you are so friendly everybody will be happy to do the effort and try speaking english with you !

Have a nice trip :)

Aww, gee.:eek: Thanks for the compliment, Julie. My wife is friendlier than me, so we will not worry.

Everyone, thanks for the incredible wealth of information.:cool: This will certainly ensure that we will have plenty to do and are well prepared! By the way, I am also trying to persuade my wife into hiking Boundary Peak, since we will be driving near ZEC Louis Gosford Park. That peak is one that I would love to repeat and I think she would really enjoy it, too.

Thanks again, everyone :)

Marty

We are also wondering if we can get by OK without knowing the French language.

The Quebecois seem to get by just fine (some of them do know French, but they only speak it after you tell them a thousand times that you don't understand a word of Quebecois) :D :D

Good poutine : Chez Ashton (many locations, nothing fancy-more fast-food place but very authentic).

Last summer, at the recommendation of a local waitress, my wife and I went to the Chez Ashton on the Grande Allee a couple blocks West of the Old City's wall for poutine. It was mediocre at best. They went somewhat light on the gravy and it wasn't warm enough to really melt the cheese curds. :(

P.s. For an inspiring TR on the Haute Gorges de la Riviere Malbaie, go here.

Last edited:
You will want to explore the Plains of Abraham right there in the city if you can. Also there is a nice archaeological dig right there at the Frontenac..(the castle looking building by the promenade.

A big surprise for some but I think it was the Citadel that burned to the ground a couple of years ago also right there on the Plains...others will know for sure if I'm right)

Any French is a big help, though at a restaurant during a busy time is not often the best time to practice on the waiters and waitresses.
There is an alley with great art work and vendors year round also.

Quebec is built on hill... every walk is down hill or up hill. A great city to get your exercise and work up an appetite for great food and a nice international feel to the city. Lower old town is also great for all it's shops and general poking about.

Should be plenty of street entertainment as well during the summer etc.

Have fun !

Don't worry too much about the language difference. 20 years ago, you'd have a problem but not so much now.

Just realize that everything is metric up there. The speed limit sign that says 100 but it's in kilometers per hour not miles per hour. You might want to bring a conversion chart for the temperature too.

Old Quebec City is very charming. Lots of little artisan shops and cobblestone streets make hiking around the city very unique.

Writing *live* from Quebec City (boischatel to be exact, next to the monmorency falls).

People here tend to not look too kindly on english speaking people. With one notable exception: If you make the effort and try real hard to speak french, no matter how bad it comes out, it will usually go a lot farther than reverting to an english sentence. Especially true in rural parts of Quebec.

Don't get me wrong, people are real nice here, but english/french is a touchy subjectfor most (not me though).

Do check out:
- the fortifications in old Quebec City
- the monmorency falls on the north side are quite a sight
- Do you bike? A 70km'ish ride, the tour de l'ile d'Orlean is a real fun bike ride. Try out home made bread or fresh corn (1$ each IIRC) and other goodies along the way. Do the ride on a non-windy day though, unless you want a good workout
- Mt St-Anne (800m'ish ski resort), (30'ish) minutes north of Quebec (direction: 40 East, towards St-Anne-de-Beaupré) is a nice little hike with views on the Orlean island. There's something special to see at the top (besides the restaurant).
- Stoneham mtn is another ski resort close by (by route 175/73 north).
- Mt Wright is another small mountain near by (10'ish minutes further than Stoneham), could be combined with Stoneham. Lots of boulders along the way and 1 or 2 climbable walls (http://www.bonjourquebec.com/qc-en/...a-foret-ancienne-du-mont-wright_14568792.html)
- Finally, DO check out the Parc de la Jacques-Cartier (by route 175/73 north, still a bit further than the stoneham/Wright parks, check out: http://www.sepaq.com/pq/jac/). You can kayak down the river, there are camping grounds not too far away from the gravel road, lots of nice hiking to be done there. The trail "des loups" is a nice hike. I was seriously turned off by the trail called Scotora if IIRC. Long haul, no views at the end. But your experience might vary. Do keep in mind the water levels are insanely high right now, so call ahead to see if they allow people to go down the river. You'll probably need to rent a wetsuit.

If you want to go further, le parc des grands-jardins is AWESOME. Le mt du lac des cygnes is a must/classic (http://www.sepaq.com/pq/grj/). Just a bit further than the parc des grands-jardins is the ZEC des martres. Whereas the parc des grands-jardins will have all groomed trails and rangers at the top to make sure you don't step on any moss and it feels like a freeway to the top of the mountain (you could probably see 200-300 people on really nice hot summer days), the ZEC is a LOT less travelled. The ZEC is part of the traversé de charlevoix (http://www.traverseedecharlevoix.qc.ca/accueil angl.html). You can call them up and ask about doing a hike up "le gros mont", aka Mont Morios, (the big mountain) and camp near the lake near the Marmotte hut ("gopher hut"). It's a secret spot and truly has AMAZING views.

Even further away is the parc des hautes-gorges. L'acropole des draveurs trail is another classic (http://www.sepaq.com/pq/hgo/).

Feel free to send me a private msg if you have questions!

A few pics from the ZEC:
Morios(winter): https://picasaweb.google.com/dpoisson/MontMorios#
Morios(summer): https://picasaweb.google.com/dpoisson/MontDesMorios#
Mt Dome: https://picasaweb.google.com/dpoisson/MontDuDome#

Grands Jardin, mt du lac des cygnes: https://picasaweb.google.com/dpoisson/MtLacDesCygnes#

EDIT: left out a crucial detail. Do head over to the "temps perdu" (lost time) for a great selection of imported beers and good food. Or, if you want to go grab a selection of fine brewskies for a camping outing, head over to the Monde des bières on the corner of Wilfred-Hamel and Marie de l'incarnation. They have a huge selection of beers available. Great thing is, you can get a bottle of a few beers to share and tastes.

Last edited:
Don't worry too much about the language difference. 20 years ago, you'd have a problem but not so much now.

Just realize that everything is metric up there. The speed limit sign that says 100 but it's in kilometers per hour not miles per hour. You might want to bring a conversion chart for the temperature too.

Old Quebec City is very charming. Lots of little artisan shops and cobblestone streets make hiking around the city very unique.

Found that out the hard way. :eek: