The Appalachian Trail - State by State elevation

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColdRiverRun

Reaction score
Does anyone know or have a reference to the individual elevation gain/loss totals for sections of the Appalachian trail broken down by State?

Mostly interested in Pennsylvania and North. Certainly, all would be great.

Does anyone want to suggest their preferred maps for these sections?

It would be hard to beat the maps issued by the ATC. If you are interested in many states, ATC has a thru hiker special every December where you can buy the entire set for half price. There are a couple of competing independent AT guides that generally have profiles and most of the information you need to thru hike the trail, but I find they are less handy than a map for finding trailheads and planning section hikes. Generally the guidebooks that come with ATC maps, are not needed having too much detail.

I used the Delorme Map guides from Virginia to Georgia for section hiking as they show the forest service roads quite accurately and there is a lot of time savings using forest service roads to get to and from trailheads. I now of a couple of areeas down south where using a forest service road saved about 50 miles and driving up and over a 5000 foot mountain (Wayah Bald)
I would also invest in a Delorme Maine guide as many of the trail access points are on private roads. Dont depend on a GPS for the private roads, the datasets are notoriously unreliable.