Bugs?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brien

Reaction score
I'm heading up to the norhtern Lake George region the first weekend in June and wondering how the bugs have been.., It's been a wet spring for the region and I'm guessing Black Flies and Mosquitoes are going to be in abundance but was wondering how folks experience with them of late has been.

I'm heading up to the norhtern Lake George region the first weekend in June and wondering how the bugs have been.., It's been a wet spring for the region and I'm guessing Black Flies and Mosquitoes are going to be in abundance but was wondering how folks experience with them of late has been.

We hiked Cat and Thomas Mtns. (west side Lake George) last Saturday. Bugs were out in force that day. It rained in the AM, and there was virtually no breeze to keep them at bay. Some in our party got lots of bites, others relatively few. For some reason, they all but disappeared in the afternoon. Not many mosquitos.

Of course, temperature, wind, location, etc. will all make a difference on any given day.

…ankle-bitters / no-see-hum and pinching-flies are already enjoying the buffet…

Last edited:
I do not know why they call them "no-see-hum's" because I saw a lot of them and even ate a few.:(
First time I have ever had to use my head net.
I am headed for the catskills until 4th of july.

Well, I guess packing the head net is a must to keep on the safe side. Always pack the DEET anyway.

I do not know why they call them "no-see-hum's" because I saw a lot of them and even ate a few.:(
First time I have ever had to use my head net.
I am headed for the catskills until 4th of july.

They're pretty bad down there too. The worst I've ever seen Blackflies in the Catskills for sure.