Bug Dope & Bug traps

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billski

Reaction score
Anyone ever try this stuff?

Deer Flies stop me cold in my tracks. I'll stand there and beat it till it's gone from this earth. Now a little gross, but seriously, do those sticky pad you put on your hat work for deerflies? It might be an interesting experiment, but it could be pretty disgusting to take off.

I'd rather have a pet bird with me on a hike :eek:

Anyone ever try this stuff?
There are multiple previous threads on the general topic--nothing outperforms deet which is safe when properly used. (It doesn't repel everything--the tests are typically done on mosquitoes.) Picaridin works as well as ~20% deet but doesn't last as long.

For best total (chemical) protection, use permethrin on your clothing and deet on your skin. (Clothing, including head nets, net shirts, and net pants work even better but are hot.)

Deer Flies stop me cold in my tracks. I'll stand there and beat it till it's gone from this earth. Now a little gross, but seriously, do those sticky pad you put on your hat work for deerflies? It might be an interesting experiment, but it could be pretty disgusting to take off.
Deet may not help with deerflies.

I have tried the tape on the hat trick using a bit of duct tape. Black flies and mosquitoes were the only airborne hazards that day--I caught a black fly. (But then my hat started buzzing until I dispatched the fly... :) )

Doug

I don't question the effectiveness of Deet, but I don't like the feel of it on my skin. I have used Repel Eucalyptus spray with great success. The only downside to it is if you don't like the smell of Eucalyptus. Another positive for it is that it does not melt plastic or stain your clothing. I have also used it with some success on myself and my dog when the deer flies were out.

I also carry with me Natrapel which is Picaridin based. It has the advantage of being orderless and it also doesn't bother my skin. When the black flies are really thick I personally think the Eucalyptus is the more effective of the two.

One good use I found for the 100 % Deet sprays is that if you spray it on hard to get off bumper or window stickers it makes it much easier to scrape the stickers off your car. If you want to spray that stuff on your skin, help yourself.:p

I don't question the effectiveness of Deet, but I don't like the feel of it on my skin. I have used Repel Eucalyptus spray with great success. The only downside to it is if you don't like the smell of Eucalyptus. Another positive for it is that it does not melt plastic or stain your clothing. I have also used it with some success on myself and my dog when the deer flies were out.

I also carry with me Natrapel which is Picaridin based. It has the advantage of being orderless and it also doesn't bother my skin. When the black flies are really thick I personally think the Eucalyptus is the more effective of the two.

One good use I found for the 100 % Deet sprays is that if you spray it on hard to get off bumper or window stickers it makes it much easier to scrape the stickers off your car. If you want to spray that stuff on your skin, help yourself.:p

I got to thinking about what I wrote and I want to add this PS. I have never actually used 100% Deet on a bumper, I've only used it to get the sticker off a window. I don't think I would recommend using the stuff on a painted plastic bumper, at least not without trying it out carefully in a spot that doesn't show.

Deet is a solvent. You are using it to soften and dissolve stickers or sticker glue.

Deet dissolves (not melts) some plastics. Nylon (ropes and clothing), polyester (clothing), and polyethylene (deet bottles :) ) are safe. I believe polycarbonate (electronics display windows, cases, glasses, water bottles, etc) is not.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deet "DEET is an effective solvent, and may dissolve some plastics, rayon, spandex, other synthetic fabrics, leather, and painted or varnished surfaces including nailpolish."

BTW, the lower concentrations of deet tend to feel less greasy. I personally use a ~30% preparation--it works well enough but doesn't last as long as a 100% solution.

Doug

There are other things you can do too to help besides using bug spray.

The most important thing is to stay away from scented shampoos in the days leading up to your hike. Don't use deodorant, either- it'll make you stinky yes, but when you hike you're going to get stinky anyways regardless.

There are other things you can do too to help besides using bug spray.

The most important thing is to stay away from scented shampoos in the days leading up to your hike. Don't use deodorant, either- it'll make you stinky yes, but when you hike you're going to get stinky anyways regardless.
There are unscented deodorants that one can use...

Keeping moving is also a big help.

I generally pre-treat my clothing with permethrin, keep moving and use deet only very infrequently. (Moving alone is generally good enough, but one cannot decide in the field if the permethrin is needed. The permethrin also helps fend off ticks.) Most of my deet usage occurs when hiking with slow groups, groups that stop a lot, or while doing trail maintenance.

Doug

Bug repellent testing

Over the past week I have tested various insect repellents against black flies and mosquitos. These are my results:

Liquid Net: Self-described as "The Ultimate Insect Repellent" and "Guaranteed to Work" with a "Pleasant Scent." Active ingredients (2.8%): Citronella Oil, Cedarwood Oil, Lemongrass Oil, Geranoil, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Peppermint Oil, and Eugenol. Applied in copious amounts with full-body reapplication about once every 5 minutes, keeps some of the swarming bugs from biting; but not terribly effective. Odor, unpleasant.

All Terrain Herbal Armor: "Clinically Proven to be 100% effective for two hours." Active ingredients (20.25%): Citronella Oil, Soybean Oil, Peppermint Oil, Cedar Oil, Lemongrass Oil, Geranium Oil. Applied liberally, with spot re-application about once every 20 minutes, works reasonably well; but no where near 100%. Odor, not bad.

Backwoods Cutter: "Long-lasting Protection" "Frequent application and saturation is unnecessary" "Evergreen scent" Active ingredient (21.85%): DEET. Applied liberally, with reapplication about once every 30 minutes and after swimming, works well. Bugs swarming; but mostly not biting. Odor, unpleasant and not anything like any evergreen I know. (BTW, I have some 100% DEET stockpiled from when it was legal to sell. I don't like to use it, but it is very effective.)

Garlic: I ate lots of freshly-made garlic bread for lunch. Four hours later went for a walk in the woods, having applied no insect repellent whatsoever. Did not get a single bite. Bugs were not even swarming close by. Odor: Pleasant to me, though others may disagree. Taste: Yummy!

Backwoods Cutter: "Long-lasting Protection" "Frequent application and saturation is unnecessary" "Evergreen scent" Active ingredient (21.85%): DEET. Applied liberally, with reapplication about once every 30 minutes and after swimming, works well. Bugs swarming; but mostly not biting. Odor, unpleasant and not anything like any evergreen I know. (BTW, I have some 100% DEET stockpiled from when it was legal to sell. I don't like to use it, but it is very effective.)

100% DEET products (actually they're really only 95-98% DEET) have, to the best of my knowledge, always been legal to buy/sell in the U.S. According to the Wikipedia page on DEET, a single application can last up to 12 hours. The same page states that 20-30% DEET formulations should last 3-6 hours, so you shouldn't need to be reapplying it every half-hour.

This week I had to be outside in the evening and couldn't find any repellant. The only stuff at the local store was 100% DEET which I have never used. I sprayed a small amount on my hand and lightly spread it my exposed skin. Yes it was a little greasy, but the black flies and mosquitos hovered in my area, but never landed.

By the way, Skin So Soft also disolves paint!

100% DEET products (actually they're really only 95-98% DEET) have, to the best of my knowledge, always been legal to buy/sell in the U.S. According to the Wikipedia page on DEET, a single application can last up to 12 hours. The same page states that 20-30% DEET formulations should last 3-6 hours, so you shouldn't need to be reapplying it every half-hour.

I didn't know the 100% Deet was still sold. Thanks for the info.

As I noted in my post, there are lots of claims about the effectiveness of insect repellents; but my experience is that they definitely do NOT last as long as the manufacturers claim. Perhaps I am just a bug magnet; but I find that if I want to stay relatively bite-free, I need to use greater quantity and more frequency than the claim on the bottle.

Last edited:
I didn't know the 100% Deet was still sold. Thanks for the info.

As I noted in my post, there are lots of claims about the effectiveness of insect repellents; but my experience is that they definitely do NOT last as long as the manufacturers claim. Perhaps I am just a bug magnet; but I find that if I want to stay relatively bite-free, I need to use greater quantity and more frequency than the claim on the bottle.

I have read (and posted somewhere on the forum) that the maximum effective percentage of DEET is something like 35% (I forget the exact number). 100% DEET is no more effective; it only lasts longer. Certainly longer than citronella products.

Last edited:
Last edited: