Indian Head - Fish Hawk Cliffs

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadowcat

Reaction score
Although the forecast called for 70% chance of rain by the time we hit the trail at around noon the skies were sunny - looked like maybe we had missed the rain. I like to do this hike in the spring because the East River & then the Gill Brook Trail are both great to walk along when the water if flowing high. But boy this year it's wayyyy up! I personally have never seen the East River flowing so fast - it was gushing down - just awesome. And even tho this is not a "climbing" hike per say, we got a heck of a work out up and down the trail and trying to keep from slipping. Then once we veered away from the trail and went over to the left where the marsh is, we lost the trail completely in 2-3 places as it disappeared under water. However, we easily skirted the shoreline and avoided water up and over into our boots. Great trail so diverse and you have to ck it out before the water receeds. One thing tho, the ranger directed a group with small children who wanted to see the falls to take this trail and it was not a trail for small kids. These guys had sneakers and flip flops on and in some areas the path is very close to the water or on an edge very high up and if you fall in under current conditions it's not going to be a pleasant ending especially for a small child. So if you are thinking of do ing this particular trail with kids just be sure they are somewhat seasoned and have proper footwear and keep your eye on them. (no real small kids tho; just my 2 cents). The cliffs were great as always, read, slept hung out for 2 hrs or so. Took the Gill Brook trail back and on one sunny ledge we saw 4 snakes all sprawled out sunning themselves. I've seen 1 before but never a slew of them. One was quite large & non too happy we disturbed him. I like taking this trail back as you get to walk along the other stream and even this was quite high with one waterfall after the other. REally spectacular walk thru the woods for sure. Even a couple deer pranced along the path ahead of us looking like they were having fun! The day was was so nice but of course we had that little "glitch" w/ the gun totting ranger but even tho he rattled us it didn't spoil our day. If you've never done this hike - maybe you think it's for whimps - just do it. YOu will get a good workout, have spectacular views and see both rivers running like never before.