Black Crescent N & S

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jean

Reaction score
Planning to do the Black Crescents from Bog Dam Road this weekend. I want to park near the trailhead to Camp 18 and head east from there.
Most whackers use the maze of logging roads on the east side but the western approach seems so much shorter.

Are there any private property concerns I should be aware of on that side of the range?
I can't tell from the maps I'm looking at.

Thanks in advance!

We did the Black Crescents from the west side back in 2008. Good going. The ridge and the west side of the ridge is all National Forest. They were doing culvert work on Bog Dam Road but I believe that work is completed and the road is open. Hopefully NH has the definitive word.

I checked with the Andro Ranger Station today and they stated Bog Dam Road is open..also asked about South Pond Rd to the Kilkenny Trail at South Pond and they said it will open Father's Day Weekend (so hopefully open on June 17th...have a good hike there's some nice talus fields up on Black Crescent ( I think there have been trip reports on that)..Lefty E

. . . there's some nice talus fields up on Black Crescent ( I think there have been trip reports on that)..Lefty E
I've not been to the summits, but have been to the enormous talus field mentioned by Lefty E. That alone is worth the trip!
I liked it so much that I made 2 visits there in the same year! Trip Reports were filed for both visits.

_ Click HERE for the report from the first visit in late March 2009

_ Click HERE for the report from the first visit in late September 2009

I was able to take a trip around the loop road and it is in fact open and in good shape...

Bog Dam Rd is in very good shape indeed. The bushwack was also a breeze. Open woods to the North summit and a strong game trail to the South peak. Only took 17 minutes between the two summits. Was back at the car under 3 hours.
Thanks again for the beta.