cherry mountain road campsites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carla

Reaction score
does anyone know if the campsites on Cherry Mountain Rd can be reserved in advance (and if so how/where), or are they first come/first served?

thanks!

First come first served when I stayed back in '05. Doubt it has changed.

What could have changed is if it is still a fee area or not. They may have dropped the fees there like at Haystack Rd.

I am pretty sure they are first come first served. They are quite popular and are usually full most weekends starting on Friday night. There are a couple of options on the north end of Jefferson Notch road that are not managed but used most weekends once the road is open.

I camped there on a few nights last summer and never paid a fee (but was expecting too, so that was kind of odd).

Jay

As I've mentioned elsewhere on this forum, the WMNF has never had the authority to charge a fee for undeveloped campsites such as those found on the Gale River, Haystack, & Cherry Mtn. roads. Read FLREA for yourself. The relevant passages in this instance are: Section 803(d)(1)(E) & Section 803(g)(3)(A).

The fact that the WMNF is dropping the camping fees in these areas means that they are only just coming into compliance with the law.