A trip and fall ... broken wrist

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mohamed Ellozy

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Today I had a very enjoyable hike ... up Mt Kinsman Trail to the ridge, then down to Kinsman Pond for lunch. On the way down I visited Bald Knob, and returning to the main trail I tripped over a root. I fell on my outstretched hand, a classic way of breaking the lower end of the radius. It took about two hours hiking and driving to get to Speare, where they confirmed the fracture and splinted it.

The pain is very tolerable, but I am discovering the joys of operating with 1¼ hands :eek: To paraphrase Animal Farm: "Two hands good, one hand bad" ;)

But at least I still have two legs, so I can hike!

Today I had a very enjoyable hike ... up Mt Kinsman Trail to the ridge, then down to Kinsman Pond for lunch. On the way down I visited Bald Knob, and returning to the main trail I tripped over a root. I fell on my outstretched hand, a classic way of breaking the lower end of the radius. It took about two hours hiking and driving to get to Speare, where they confirmed the fracture and splinted it.

The pain is very tolerable, but I am discovering the joys of operating with 1¼ hands :eek: To paraphrase Animal Farm: "Two hands good, one hand bad" ;)
Ouch!

Been there, done that (and broke my leg in two places too...). After a couple of weeks in a strap-on brace, I had a plate installed. Operating with 1 and a fraction hands is much easier than operating with only 1 leg. I am now nearly unaware of it.

But at least I still have two legs, so I can hike!
Just don't fall... Or if you do, don't land on your wrist.

Doug

Sorry to hear about your fall and injury. Hope you heal quickly.

Petch

Ohh, that's not good Mohamed, I hope you heal quickly.

Just out of curiosity.....were you using poles?
If so, did they help or hinder?

Heal quick, Mohamed!!! The trails are calling you.....

John & June

One step...

I am sorry this happened, Mohammed. Poles, or no poles, it can happen to any of us. There is a quote from Edward Whymper, I think, in the first party to climb the Matterhorn, they lost four as they descended. The quote is to the effect that it only takes one misstep. The times I have sprained my ankles have been on Crawford path on Monroe Flats, and on a sidewalk in Leith. I was walking instead of hiking...
I wish you a fast recovery. I admire your energy and patience as I read your writings.

Mohamed,
I'm sorry to hear about your fall and fractured wrist! I'm always worried about taking a tumble going down hill. You're looking at the bright side though; at least you can still hike.
It was a pleasure to run into you on the Valley Way Trail on Friday.
I hope you heal quickly.
Woody

Ive taken some falls myself and always try to "control" my fall to prevent injury. Sometimes thats hard to do, I broke my ankle once, very painfull, did it on loose sliding talus. I hope you heal fast. P.S. I always use poles not sure if you do, but they help immensly preventing falls.

... I fell on my outstretched hand, a classic way of breaking the lower end of the radius. ...
Also a classic way of breaking a fall, probably better than breaking it with your face or head.

Might be a good excuse to get a bone density test, establish a baseline ... they're tough things to fight, gravity and time, though you've proven quite good at the latter!

Happy healing!

Sorry to hear about your wrist - I just did that last year on Carrigan. Heal up fast, and don't let the wrist keep you from the mountains :)

Also a classic way of breaking a fall, probably better than breaking it with your face or head.

I agree. Also, better than re-injuring your lower back, Mo.

One of my PVSART buddies tripped coming down the cone of Lafayette on Saturday making a bloody mess of his nose. At least there were 12 of us there with 12 first aid kits.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.