Trails Less Traveled

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J&J

Reaction score
We did a long loop yesterday (6/5/11) in the Caribou-Speckled Mountain Wilderness area which started with a 1.5 mile road walk (where we had spotted a car at the Haystack Notch trailhead) to the Spruce Hill trail, across the Bickford Brook trail up to Speckled Mtn, with many ups and downs along the Red Rock trail to Durgin Mtn, Butters Mtn, Red Rock Mtn, to the Miles Notch trail to the Haystack Notch trail and back to our waiting car on Rt. 113 in Evans Notch. It was a fantastic day!

Lots of muddy bogs, grown in trails, blowdowns, fantastic views, river crossings, black flies, mosquito's and in 16.5 miles of trail walking we saw no one else, zero, zilch, nada. We had the woods to ourselves today. A few pictures to whet your appetite for this wonderful area.

On top of Speckled Mtn. Wonder what happened in 1915? Hope it worked out.
P1050219.JPG

This is what the trail looks like in many places, all grown in.
P1050226.JPG

This was the longest, fattest Garter Snake we had ever seen.
P1050229.JPG

One of many bog crossings. Most bog bridges were rotten or non-existent.
P1050258.JPG

There were 10 flowers in this clump of Lady Slippers.
P1050266.JPG

An old forest service enamel sign. We also saw a couple of other old enamel mileage markers today.
P1050279.JPG

A spectacular viewpoint just off the summit of Red Rock Mtn.
P1050297.JPG

Looking back toward Speckled Mtn. and Durgin Mtn. Just over the edge is a several hundred foot dropoff.
P1050306.JPG

A couple of railroad spikes were peened over holding the chain link in place. Must have been part of a former bridge crossing supporting the bridge frame.
P1050333.JPG

One of many river crossings that we made today. The water was low today or several crossings would have been difficult.
P1050357.JPG

Cool loop!

I loved the ridgeline between Miles Notch and Great Brook Tr., real wild feel. My lil brother and I found it pretty grown in and tricky to follow around Butters Mountain last summer. Looks like nothing has changed. And what a viewpoint that cliff is!

Thank you for exploring an area where many have not explored before..saw you all on Moose saturday but glad you see you can appreciate the out of the way areas too...Lefty E

Passed and waved to you on the road on Sunday (driving a blue Suby). My wife and I were heading home from Cold River Camp and a weekend of trailwork with the CTA.

How was Spruce Hill trail and Bickford brook - blowdown wise? I think beyond that is all USFS responsibility and will probably continue to deteriorate. Each Ranger District has only one trail person this year.

Great pictures. Thanks for sharing. I love this area.

Thank you for exploring an area where many have not explored before..saw you all on Moose saturday but glad you see you can appreciate the out of the way areas too...Lefty E

I wished you had stopped by and said hi, Lefty. You could have stopped by for grid dogs and beer afterwards. We had plenty.

John

Passed and waved to you on the road on Sunday (driving a blue Suby). My wife and I were heading home from Cold River Camp and a weekend of trailwork with the CTA.

How was Spruce Hill trail and Bickford brook - blowdown wise? I think beyond that is all USFS responsibility and will probably continue to deteriorate. Each Ranger District has only one trail person this year.

Like two ships passing in the night, one not knowing the other was there. Would have been nice to meet you Cooperhill. Next time.

Both Spruce Hill and Bickford Brook trails had some blowdowns, but nothing major if I recall correctly. Beyond the summit of Speckled, forget about it. Blowdowns, blown out bog bridges, mud wallows, brushy hard to find trails, etc. I had hiked Butters and Red Rock mid-May before things really started leafing out and it was hard to follow in spots then and now that everything has leafed out, the trail is really difficult to follow in spots. Just have to pay attention as to where you're going.

Very nice. Looks like a terrific loop.

There are certainly some very healthy looking garters moving around this year. I don't recall this many big ones being seen and reported.