Dan Doan Trail work report

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrailwrightBratt

Reaction score
Sat. the 4th. Six Trailwrights (Hal and Peggy, Ray, Bill, Darrell, and Bruce) and Jason Berard met for a day working on the Dan Doan Trail.
In the past 5 years the Doan family and a few friends have been working hard to maintain this eroded,wet and rocky trail. Trailwrights has been involved the last 4 years and together have installed a good deal of drainage.There is a considerable amount left to do. Unfortunately the family has had trouble finding lodging for this week as the usual location was booked up. Also with graduations and other family members not able to make it we knew we would only be able to do the Level 1 (Basic) adoptor work and knowing that the trail is in bad shape we headed to the top to asses future work first and worked our way down clearing all the smaller trees and limbs and one large birch that we did not get on the way up. We did manage to clear all the waterbars and drainages except for a few ditches on the road portion near the bottom as we ran out of time.
This leads me into commenting on some of the problems that this trail has. Due to the Doan family coming from as far away as N.Y. it becomes clear that a twice a year as an adoptor should do, is very difficult for them and unfortunately the trail needs more than they have time for. Sat. is an example. All we had time for was to maintain what has been installed the last 4 years, which means the reconstruction and repair it needs badly does not get done.
In addition with only one day a year being worked on, it cannot possibly be enough to stabilize this 3 mile trail.
That raises the question who will do it. Also is part of the problem that it does not get a lot of use worth the effort ?.Or does it's current condition be the reason why it does not get a lot of traffic.
I personally think it is both worth it and a lot can be done to make it a nice trail if we can find the help needed. We may possibly have an adopter for this trail as of this writing, and a possible October crew workday. Maybe we can find additional help from you reading this report.

Section of eroded trail, steep and slippery, just below summit of Smart's Mountain
DDTrail%2525206-4-11%252520001.jpg

Removing blowdown
DDTrail%2525206-4-11%252520002.jpg

Lower portion of the muddy road
DDTrail%2525206-4-11%252520003.jpg

Same road, a wetter section
DDTrail%2525206-4-11%252520004.jpg

Remaining Trailwrights taken by Peggy. Jason had to leave for a commitment
DDTrail%2525206-4-11%252520005.jpg

Last edited:
Good News

You are right. Good news,at this time we have an adoptor on board, but that will only take care of the basics and there is so much more needed. Things are looking up thanks to Jason. Possible work day in Oct.:)

I'd consider helping out in October. The first time I hiked this trail I thought "never again." But it makes a nice loop with a little road walk. I was there on Sunday and found it mostly pleasant and do think I'll want to hike it again. :)

I'd consider helping out in October. The first time I hiked this trail I thought "never again." But it makes a nice loop with a little road walk. I was there on Sunday and found it mostly pleasant and do think I'll want to hike it again. :)

Excellent! I've hiked this trail a couple times a year for the last 4-5 years, and it really is getting better! The new adopter seems energetic, and is heading up this week to check it out. He will also plan on coming to the work day this fall, and also next June. Maybe we have reached a tipping point. Without the hard work of Trailwrights and the Doan family, this trail would have vanished. Which would be a shame on many levels. If you want a quiet hike up Smarts, this is the trail for you! And it opens up several loop options...

Ellen: when you are descending the AT North from the summit, you cross a woods road/snowmobile trail before hitting Jacobs Brook. If you turn left here, it will take you to the sharp turn on Mousley Brook Road, which cuts some time off the loop you described earlier...

Ellen: when you are descending the AT North from the summit, you cross a woods road/snowmobile trail before hitting Jacobs Brook. If you turn left here, it will take you to the sharp turn on Mousley Brook Road, which cuts some time off the loop you described earlier...

We thought so but weren't quite willing to take the chance. Thanks for the info.

Loop

Nice job on the trailwork. Having never hit Smarts before, I've been thinking about this route a bit.

Is it possible to make a loop out of Daniel Doan, AT all the way to Cube, down Cross-Rivendale, then follow woods roads/trails (extension of Baker Rd/old AT?) back to Quinttown? Any private property issues in doing this? Ideas on mileage?

Last edited:
Nice job on the trailwork. Having never hit Smarts before, I've been thinking about this route a bit.

Is is possible to make a loop out of Daniel Doan, AT all the way to Cube, down Cross-Rivendale, then follow woods roads/trails (extension of Baker Rd/old AT?) back to Quintown? Any private property issues in doing this? Ideas on mileage?

Excellent idea! I just figured it out to be 14.5 miles, give or take. It would be followable, I believe Mohamed walked from the end of baker to Quinttown last summer on a Cube only loop.

Excellent idea! I just figured it out to be 14.5 miles, give or take. It would be followable, I believe Mohamed walked from the end of baker to Quinttown last summer on a Cube only loop.

Thank you. I just did a little digging and found Mohamed's report. On the list it goes!

Last edited: