Appalachia Break In - 2011

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Depressing that its a yearly event but here is the first report I have seen for the year

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1169841#post1169841

I usually expect some activity that corelates with the end of high school, but the break in described sounds like a pro. If it is a pro, they usually do a circuit from Appalachia along Pinkham B road up to Great Gulf and Nineteen Mile Brook and sometimes includes Rocky Branch.

The best alternative for parking is Lowes Garage, Alan Lowe is the local constable and there arent many reports of car break ins at his lot.

As usual, the thieves figure out pretty quickly where to look in a vehicle for valuables, if at all possible leave them elsewhere or carry them with you. Some folks advocate bolting a strong box in the trunk but I expect most will tak their chances.

Depressing that its a yearly event but here is the first report I have seen for the year

I usually expect some activity that corelates with the end of high school, but the break in described sounds like a pro

Depressing is a good word for it. I'm tired of these periodic break-ins at trailheads, especially Appalachia. I hike out of there 3 times as much as any other trailhead. TEHO, but I'm considering leaving the car unlocked and empty. Then someone will hotwire it I suppose...

I agree this does not sound like the work of drunk, giggling, and "recently freed" high school graduates. They often have a different and sloppier signature to their work....:rolleyes:

It's hard to catch a good thief.