NPT Speed Record Attempt

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Seaver

Reaction score
I have been informed that ultra runner Sheryl Wheeler will be running the NPT starting June 15 at 5am from the military road.

She is looking to smoke the whole trail in 35 hours, including the dreaded final road section (but will time this section separately). Judging from her record, I fully expect that to happen.

Here's wishing her and her team the best of luck!

(first posted at ADKforum)

Atleast she is from NY. Some carpetbagging Easterner came over here and tore up that trail a few years ago..it has never been the same. Good timing too..I think the trail is only under a foot of water, compared to the worst flooding ever recorded earlier this Spring.:D:confused:;)

Last edited:
I think the trail is only under a foot of water, compared to the worst flooding ever recorded earlier this Spring.:D:confused:;)
I thought that trail was under a foot of water even during a drought.

Tidbits from the Past

One incident which didn't make the edited version of the 2005 run:

When I arrived at Tirrell Pond as it was getting dark, Jamie (one of my support buds) had a bit of bad news - my wife Elizabeth had been bitten on the foot by more than a few yellow jackets when she inadvertently stepped over a nest-hole while making a quick change in the trees. She is fairly allergic, but this was multiple bites, and she knew she needed to do something.

To make a long story short, she lucked out by running into an EMT at the local store where she went to to try and get help, and ended up taking a long ambulance ride. The person who accompanied her for part of the ordeal was actually nice enough to drive all the way back just to let Jamie know to tell me that my wife was OK, and that she wanted me to keep going.

So that is what I got to "digest" along with my support ration for the night section. When I came out of the woods the next morning at Piseco, there she was.

Here's to the kindness of strangers that you meet. Thanks for saving my wife.

Tim,

Any word on how Sheryl made out. I had heard it was pretty muddy up there around the time she was planning to make her attempt.

Despite a very muddy trail and some late night "explorations" of trails other than the NPT, Sheryl was successful in her bid to best the previous time.
She finished in 35 hours and 15 minutes, and even continued to walk the road section down into Northville!

more at adkforum

Congrats to Sheryl and her team on a job well done - I hope we see more speed attempts on this route soon!