Thread: NPT Speed Record Attempt

NPT Speed Record Attempt

I have been informed that ultra runner Sheryl Wheeler will be running the NPT starting June 15 at 5am from the military road.

She is looking to smoke the whole trail in 35 hours, including the dreaded final road section (but will time this section separately). Judging from her record, I fully expect that to happen.

Here's wishing her and her team the best of luck!

(first posted at ADKforum)
    You don’t have to be a fantastic hero to do certain things — to compete. You can be just an ordinary chap, sufficiently motivated. - Edmund Hillary

Atleast she is from NY. Some carpetbagging Easterner came over here and tore up that trail a few years ago..it has never been the same. Good timing too..I think the trail is only under a foot of water, compared to the worst flooding ever recorded earlier this Spring.
    Last edited by ColdRiverRun; 06-11-2011 at 11:42 PM.
    Cory D
    “I don’t know if momma was right or if it’s Lieutenant Dan. I don’t know if we each have a destiny… or if we're all floating around accidental like.. on a breeze. But, I think… maybe it’s both… maybe both are happening at the same time.” –Forrest Gump.

Quote Originally Posted by ColdRiverRun View Post
    I think the trail is only under a foot of water, compared to the worst flooding ever recorded earlier this Spring.
    I thought that trail was under a foot of water even during a drought.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I thought that trail was under a foot of water even during a drought.
    Only between trailheads. But, instead of blaming it on poor planning through lowland swampy areas we can save time and blame trail runners.
    Cory D
    “I don’t know if momma was right or if it’s Lieutenant Dan. I don’t know if we each have a destiny… or if we're all floating around accidental like.. on a breeze. But, I think… maybe it’s both… maybe both are happening at the same time.” –Forrest Gump.

Tidbits from the Past

One incident which didn't make the edited version of the 2005 run:

When I arrived at Tirrell Pond as it was getting dark, Jamie (one of my support buds) had a bit of bad news - my wife Elizabeth had been bitten on the foot by more than a few yellow jackets when she inadvertently stepped over a nest-hole while making a quick change in the trees. She is fairly allergic, but this was multiple bites, and she knew she needed to do something.

To make a long story short, she lucked out by running into an EMT at the local store where she went to to try and get help, and ended up taking a long ambulance ride. The person who accompanied her for part of the ordeal was actually nice enough to drive all the way back just to let Jamie know to tell me that my wife was OK, and that she wanted me to keep going.

So that is what I got to "digest" along with my support ration for the night section. When I came out of the woods the next morning at Piseco, there she was.

Here's to the kindness of strangers that you meet. Thanks for saving my wife.
    You don’t have to be a fantastic hero to do certain things — to compete. You can be just an ordinary chap, sufficiently motivated. - Edmund Hillary

Thumbs up

Send my best out to Sheryl!! I'm sure she'll give you a run for your money, Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Seaver View Post
    let me know to tell me that my wife was OK, and that she wanted me to keep going.

Tim, is being modest. There is actually footage shot of Tim getting told that news and the training leading up to it.

Here
    Cory D

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Seaver View Post
    I have been informed that ultra runner
    (first posted at ADKforum)

I'm surprised and happy to see this is not a young persons race.
    Peace

"How one parses a question tells you as much about the person as how they answer the question."

Oldee Won Balogeena

Tim,

Any word on how Sheryl made out. I had heard it was pretty muddy up there around the time she was planning to make her attempt.

Despite a very muddy trail and some late night "explorations" of trails other than the NPT, Sheryl was successful in her bid to best the previous time.
    She finished in 35 hours and 15 minutes, and even continued to walk the road section down into Northville!

more at adkforum

Congrats to Sheryl and her team on a job well done - I hope we see more speed attempts on this route soon!