Flags on the 48 - 2011 - The Ten Year Anniversary

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilentCal

Reaction score
Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:12 pm Post subject: Flags on the 48 - 2011 - The Ten Year Anniversary

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's that time of year again.

Flags on the 48 - 2011

Sunday, September 11th 2011

The Ten Year Anniversary.

http://flagsonthe48.org/

For those that are unaware, every year since 2002, normal everyday hikers from all over New England converge on the White Mountains of New Hampshire to raise flags atop all of the 4000 foot peaks. This event started as a challenge and it has now grown into a high mountain tribute to those lost on 9/11. Flags are flown at the summits from noon until 2:00 pm. We leave No Trace and take nothing but photographs.

Please note: The Event this year is on a SUNDAY. Usually it falls on a Saturday but because the 11th is on a Sunday this year, that is when it will take place. It will revert back to a Saturday in 2012.

Signups for this years event will commence on July 11th at 6:00 PM. Peaks usually go very quickly. Last year, I believe 36 were spoken for in the first half hour.

Three peaks provide non-hiker access to their summits. Cannon, Washington and Wildcat D. These are the only peaks that you can pre-register for. Please send me an email through the the Flags site or a PM through here if you are interested in those particular peaks.

Should you have any questions, please drop me line via e-mail or PM.

I'd like to thank everyone who has participated in the past to get us to year ten. It's hard to believe one solo Flag on Mt. Liberty spurred so much emotion, effort and friendship.

Two peaks remain after 10 hours. Washington and Wildcat D. Both have non-hiker means to get to the summit. Can we get all 48 covered in under 24 hours???

As of right now, all 48 peaks will have coverage. That may change as the event gets closer but I'm hopeful for no cancellations. Thanks to everyone who volunteered to help out. Fingers crossed for bright sunshine and a steady breeze!

My hope is that I won't have to deal with last minute hiccups. But, I am sure there will be some and it's good to know that I have a backup or two out there. Thanks Chip.

Signed up for East Osceola with Tmax, Paradox, and ToG.. Hope the weather is better than when I did them for my 48... :)

And I don't live 6 hours away now!

Jay

Signed up for East Osceola with Tmax, Paradox, and ToG.. Hope the weather is better than when I did them for my 48... :)

And I don't live 6 hours away now!

Jay

Wow. Sounds more like a team for Owl's Head than East Osceola, but who the heck am I ? I'll probably just run up Hale or some such with the wife and boys :eek:.

One week away. I'm hoping the only hiccup is the recent road closings. No cancellations yet and fingers are crossed that Katia blows out to sea.

This is probably stating the obvious, but those FOTF groups going on trails with uncertain conditions in the wake of the storm may want to consider an earlier start time to deal with any issues like getting around blowdowns.

People may need to take alternate routes for their drive to the trailhead as well.