Flags on the 48 - 2011 - The Ten Year Anniversary

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ayup, been doing our best to keep folks in the know on the Fot48 forums.

We have had a cancellation on Mt. Isolation. I am trying to contact the group of other hikers listed to see if they can get a flag to the peak. I may need to dip into my reserves.

We have had a cancellation on Mt. Isolation. I am trying to contact the group of other hikers listed to see if they can get a flag to the peak. I may need to dip into my reserves.

Out and back via Glenn Boulder is a nice alternative to RB, if that was the reason. Hope someone else is willing to take it on.

There was a post to the Facebook Fot48 event just 10 minutes ago from someone heading up Saturday to the shelter then to the summit on Sunday. Have you made contact with them?

Tripoli road is closed, I presume those campsites there are closed and one can get to Waterville valley vi Rt 49.. can one drive up tripoli road past Osceola Vista??? or is the entire road closed? Could one bike up Tripoli road??

How are people getting to Osceola with the Kanc closed and all the trailheads on it? I believe I saw online that Osceola Vista is open and I know the greeley pond trail does also start below there but it follows a stream which could potentially mean it could be a real mess. Or looking at my map last night, a 350ish meter (vertical) bushwack from some viewpoint there is probably pretty thick.

Jay

I'm driving around today to check out the access points for the Kanc and the Tripoli road Corridor. Carrigain crew seems like they will be alright

http://www.newenglandtrailconditions.com/closures/

Just saw the above on the thread in New England section..

It does say the Greeley Ponds trail from WV is closed due to severe washouts from the stream there...

It also does say that the Mt Osceola trail can be accessed from I-93... so those headed to East Osceola could easily team up with those headed to plain ole Osceola and we'll go over Osceola to East..

Which means camping at Osceola vista is probably not ideal.. :)

jay

Last edited:
The official word from the WMNF yesterday was that you can reach the Osceola Trailhead from I-93.

The official word from the WMNF yesterday was that you can reach the Osceola Trailhead from I-93.

I can confirm that - I was at the Tripoli road trailhead Saturday. Tripoli road is closed right after the Osceola trail parking area, but is driveable up to that point.

thanks NeoAkela, MichaelJ, et al, it sounds like we may have a plan brewing then... I wonder if Tmax has a flagpole... I have a flag we can use..

Jay

Thanks Neoakela But I just drove the length of Tripoli Road from Waterville Valley to 93 and there was nothing to stop me in terms of a detour or a road closed sign. You may be correct that it is closed but with my hyundai elantra it was certainly passable.

I have a feeling there is going to be a lot of confusion as to what is open, how far roads are open and just what exactly is closed.

That's great news, SilentCal. It was this Saturday that I was there, so it makes sense that there has been progress made since then... at the time, there was a large blockade on the road past the t/h parking, with a "road closed" sign, so there was no going through at that time unless you moved the barrier.

I'm sure whoever updates the road condition webpages has their hands full keeping up with changes.

I drove the Kanc as well and had to turn around at the Discovery trailhead. Numerous dumptrucks in the area so they must need a lot of earth to secure the roadbed.

Hi SilentCal - is Isolation covered at this point?

Thanks.

I have 31 e-mails in my inbox to go through plus the flags mailbox, but as of right now, No, no one has contacted us about Isolation.

Hey, Jim,

Thanks for the request for good weather - looks like Sunday's going to be a nice day. Yeah!

Just found out about 15 minutes ago. Isolation will be covered!
Im covering Carter Dome. Are there any peaks that you believe are not covered? I have a 6x10 flag for our peak, and my two kids each have a 3X5 flag, plus we have some extra PVC. Being that we have a small group of adults coming along, if Wildcat D or one of the carters isnt covered, contact me and I might be able to pull something off.

Last edited: