windstopper fleece question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldfeet

Reaction score
Sounds like it's not the right type to wear while hiking..will it keep to much heat in? Is it for hanging around? also are insulated pants to warm to hike in or are they used at basecamp? Been holding off on these questions for a while.. thx

Thx, that's what i thought, just wanted someone else to confirm it.. i should save my $ for other stuff

I really like my Windstopper fleece vest. It's windstopper in the front, regular 200 weight (I believe) polarfleece in the back. I also use windstopper hat and balaclava. When I need them, I'm happy that I have them. For hanging around at camp, a Nuptse type down jacket (and don't get too close to the fire!)

I hike in a Schoeller Dryskin jacket, but usually throw on my Patagonia Retro-X (windproof heavyweight fleece, yet only 20 oz.) at or near the summit. It breathes enough and warms enough to help purge some ar all of the moisture from the climb. I'll often keep it on for the duration of a jaunt above treeline, like Algonquin to Iroquois and back, Marcy, Gray, and Skylight, etc. then send it back to the pack when I'm below 3000' or so. Though often I'll wear it back out to the car, where I'm already damp and not pumping out the heat factor like on a climb.

I do like the gloves too, especially the convertible mittens. Hats are good, except the earflap ones can give me a weird pressure build up in my ears. Don't know what that's all about?

I hike in an EMS divergence jacket, which is windproof/strech, and it is perfect for almost everything i have done. It can get hot in temps higher than 40 degrees ambient, so i usually switch down to a base layer and a superthin windblock vest (no fleece, just windblock)

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I didn't get any responses on my post. Anyone use Polartec Powershield? And how is it? It's supposed to block 98% of the wind, allowing the other 2% to circulate, but I wonder if the result is similar to Windstopper or Windbloc, in that it is just too warm.

John

Kevin,

Powershield is a competing product to Schoeller Dryskin, and I suppose you are right about the durability/stretchiness, but Powershield is also marketed for its breathability. I question how breathable it really is though because it has a membrane in it similar to Windstopper/Windbloc. The big difference is that the Powershield membrane is discontinuous. Essentially, it sounds like there are tiny holes punched in it.

I think I already have an opinion about the Powershield. It's good stuff, but I don't think it even comes close to Schoeller Dryskin or Dynamic fabrics with regards to breathability, and is probably better suited to less aerobic activity. But, I'd love to hear from folks that use it.

John