Dome Mountain, 6/19/2011

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mats Roing

Reaction score
Hi everyone........first trip report from Montana!

Joe Brown trailhead is located 5 miles from my apartment......some people will probably question why I drove there.......

Dome Mountain is rising about 3,500' above the valley below and it's summit is 8,573' above seal level. about 12 miles north of Yellowstone National Park.

IMG_1364.JPG

A leisurely Cah Goodwin starting time of 2:40pm....;)
About a quarter mile into the hike a knee joint of sorts with still remnants of meet on it sits on the trail.....I'm happy I brought the bear spray....a little later the spine was next to the trail with still some meat on it....

IMG_1324.JPG

This trail is not used very much and pretty soon it became small and often disappeared when crossing meadows.

IMG_1328.JPG

The views were getting better and better though....I actually live down there.....shake and bake!

IMG_1329.JPG

I saw the mountain up on the left and wasn't sure if the trail actually went up the mountain so I took a bearing over some meadows and into some steeper terrain in the woods.....I made noise with my trekking poles since I wasn't too keen on surprising grizzlies.....going solo in grizzly country always adds some spice to the hike.....it's pretty open terrain so bushwhacking is not a big deal really.......soon I hit the summit ridge and snowfields become more common.....it's pretty solid snow so trail runners work fine with gaiters...

IMG_1332.JPG

IMG_1334.JPG

Below is a summit shot maybe 10 feet below the summit. The distinct little peak above my head in the background is Cinnabar Mountain at about 7,100'. The snow-covered peak in the upper right is Electric Peak which is close to make the 11,000' list at 10,992'. Yellowstone River in the valley is pretty high and brown during the current spring flooding.

IMG_1342.JPG

You can see that forest fires swept over the summit area a few years back....

IMG_1344.JPG

Once down at the meadows I tried to run and position myself but was a little late.....not the first time....Electric Peak (10,992') in the background.

IMG_1356.JPG

Lovely playgrounds.......

IMG_1357.JPG

Almost back down to the car......

IMG_1363.JPG

Still miss you guys in New England.......

Last edited:
Great pics. Thanks for sharing. I look forward to more TRs from out west. Adds some variety to this board.

Wow, that's awesome Mats. How long have you lived out in Montana? Are you used to the altitude? Well you must be, because you climbed 3500 feet. Great pictures! Any distant bear sightings?

Wow, that's awesome Mats. How long have you lived out in Montana? Any distant bear sightings?

I moved here a week ago from Boston:) Not much animal sightings on this trip for some reason. And yep, that's a bear canister on my pack.