Pocket Rocket safe for Grand Canyon heat?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Technetium

Reaction score
I am going to be at the bottom of the canyon in July where normal day temperatures reach or pass 115 F. Are the canisters for the Pocket Rocket stove safe under those conditions?

You most likely won't like this response, but I just wanted to make sure you actually want to visit the bottom of the Grand Canyon in July. In addition to the extremely draining power of the sun during the day, the average low is still a very warm 78 degrees and that makes for poor sleeping for most people. 85 degrees at night is not unheard of in July.

Only the most hardcore of souls will find enjoyment in it in my opinion. I refuse to go back there in anything above 100 degrees and I consider myself pretty tough usually :D

Last edited:
Yeah, I've been warned. Unfortunately, it was the only time I could go. I'm not planning to hang around there during the day. I'll be up before sunrise to make sure I'm much higher by the time the worst heat hits.

Though we did it in May (too late in the spring, IMO, at least for that particular year), our MSR Pocket Rocket did just fine. Our high temp (unusual) was c. 104. I think average temps at Phantom ranch in July are c. 106. I see nothing in the literature about maximum temperature use.

I also agree with roadtripper's comments! :D

You most likely won't like this response, but I just wanted to make sure you actually want to visit the bottom of the Grand Canyon in July. In addition to the extremely draining power of the sun during the day, the average low is still a very warm 78 degrees and that makes for poor sleeping for most people. 85 degrees at night is not unheard of in July.

Only the most hardcore of souls will find enjoy in it in my opinion. I refuse to go back there in anything above 100 degrees and I consider myself pretty tough usually :D
When I was in high school, my family hiked down to Phantom Ranch in August by the S Kaibab Tr. It was 113F at 6pm. Very little shade. And we were surrounded by hot rocks.

Phantom Ranch had a swimming pool back then... (Not there any more.)

Departing the bottom before the heat builds up isn't too hard. Arriving at the bottom before it gets hot is much harder (unless you like night hiking).

The North Rim is probably the best part of the canyon to visit in July. There are a number of hikes up there. However the views of the canyon are generally better from the S Rim. (The N Rim is ~1K ft higher, but farther from the river.)

If you carry fuel canisters, I suggest that you insulate them from the heat.

Doug