Hikes near Atlantic City, NJ

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadtripper

Reaction score
Are there any decent hikes (less than 5 miles round-trip) within an hour or so of Atlantic City that you can recommend? I'm heading there this weekend and what is a weekend trip without some sort of hiking involved? :D

Thanks in advance!

- Greg

You kidding?? Stay on the ocean and enjoy the Jersey Shore!! My particular recommendation would be to head south a few miles and hit Ocean City - great boardwalk, fun place. Let daxs know you're around and maybe she'll give you some pointers -- she's further south...

You kidding?? Stay on the ocean and enjoy the Jersey Shore!! My particular recommendation would be to head south a few miles and hit Ocean City - great boardwalk, fun place. Let daxs know you're around and maybe she'll give you some pointers -- she's further south...
The A.C. boardwalk is a sight to behold! :D

Also the Pine Barrens are not far away.

Island Beach State Park

Beautiful beach without the crowds and all the typical hub-bub of the Jersey Shore. Don't get me wrong....there's nothing like a summer night on the boardwalk! As Bubba said, if you're gonna spend a night on the boardwalk....make it Ocean City's boardwalk! Definitely my favorite of the Jersey shore points. The Jersey shore is a great place and gets a little bit of a bad rap.

Some nice kayaking on the Mullica, Batso, etc in the area as well if you're into kayaking. Also of course, some sea kayaking on the Atlantic for the sea kayak crowd...

The Pine Barrens are nearby, search for the Jersey Devil...

Jay

Island Beach State Park is an awesome place. If you want to go there, get there early. Parking is limited and once it reaches capacity, you cannot get into the park. There is hiking in the Pine Barrens on the Batona Trail. Its flat, sandy with lots of scrubby pine. North of Atlantic City is the Edwin Forsythe Wildlife Refuge. There are some short trails there with the opportunity to do some bird watching. South of AC, there is Belleplain State Park in Woodbine NJ. You can also consider Parvin State Park in Vineland NJ. I can get more info when I get home today. If you are interested, I can probably scan and email you some information out of a guidebook. you can pick up trail maps for Parvin and Belleplain at the park offices. There is a website for the BATONA trail but I am not sure of you can download maps. You can also see if the Outdoor Club of South Jersey has any activities planned when you are on your trip.

yeah, and I hope you're not going through the GSP on a friday night southbound...

The boardwalk may make for a nice flat hike. Down & back ~12 miles? Lots to see.

I'd go hiking with you but I have a half marathon Sunday Am. Need to leave my house by 5 to get to the race and pick up registration

Despite what the script said, I think I remember that the Soparnos filmed that episode in Harriman St Forest in NY, just N of NJ.