Can I carry Microspikes on board my flight ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
Is this doable? Are they permitted? Any first hand knowledge? (Flying American Airlines if it matters)

What about collapsible hiking poles?

Any other common hiking items that are forbidden?

Is this doable? Are they permitted? Any first hand knowledge? (Flying American Airlines if it matters)
Don't know--why don't you call the airline and ask.

Unlikely. Too easy to use as a weapon.

Stoves, fuel, knives...

I suggest that you put the questionable gear in a checked bag. (Anything that has touched gasoline is likely banned and fuel canisters are banned--even in luggage.)

Last time I looked, there was some useful info at http://www.tsa.gov.

Doug

When we flew to Patagonia (2009) and Haute Route in Europe (2005) we put our poles in our duffle bags (checked) both times with no problem. Joanne fashioned a styrofoam protector for the tips. Of course, regulations change, and vary from airline to airline, so I would call them to be certain.

Check here also:
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

AAL (note the lithium battery restriction):
http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInformation/baggage/restrictedArticles.jsp

Where are you going?

Maybe wear them like bracelets. It would help if you also wear a studded leather vest and get a mohawk. (that includes Laurie. :p)

Jay

Definitely no to the hiking poles (.... I've tried that one... they have to be checked.) I've never tried microspikes in a carry on, so I'm not sure about that.

Some airline attendants have issues with stoves.... though I've never had a problem with my soda can backpacking stove (I don't think they know what it is.) Never had a problem with a stove in checked luggage, only in a carry on.

- Ivy

The specific airline is pretty much a non-issue for carry-on items ... it's a TSA call. Since you're talking about items that aren't specifically listed on the TSA list of prohibited items, it's going to be up to the judgement of the TSA screener who is looking at your bag in the X-ray scanner. I always put hiking poles and crampons (don't own microspikes) in checked baggage. I'd rather do that than go through the hassle of being potentially turned around at the check point or having my items confiscated. Good luck.

Following Puma concolor's link, the TSA specifically requires that ski poles be put in checked luggage, therefore, hiking poles must be checked, too.

There's no logical why microspikes, which are "traction devices," not mini crampons, should be prohibited from carry-on--the length of the spike makes them less harmful than a pair of 3.9" scissors, which are permitted. That said, TSA officials may not think logically, and if you're bringing, therefore checking, hiking poles, you might as well check your microspikes.

You could always try to email TSA, with a link or picture of them, and ask if they're kosher. If they respond positively, bring a copy of the email.

I would be disappointed if they let you carry micro spikes on. It takes very little imagination as to how one could easily craft several weapons from them (strangling device, sling shot, etc...). If you do not want to check anything can you mail your questionable items ahead ? I generally arrange to spend the first night in a motel and I can usually mail stuff (stoves, sharpies) there a few days ahead of time (asking permission first ofcourse).

Trying to avoid checking baggage...

Not possible unless you mail the gear ahead of time. Anything sharp and pointy (nail clippers, army knives, leathermen, hiking poles...certainly spikes) will be confiscated.

I think there's an equal chance of the USPS or UPS and airline misplacing your gear, very low, but it exists.

Sigh, I guess we will just leave all questionable items behind, and not do any kind of hikes that require that type of gear... :(

I would be disappointed if they let you carry micro spikes on. It takes very little imagination as to how one could easily craft several weapons from them (strangling device, sling shot, etc...). If you do not want to check anything can you mail your questionable items ahead ? I generally arrange to spend the first night in a motel and I can usually mail stuff (stoves, sharpies) there a few days ahead of time (asking permission first ofcourse).

Last I checked, belts, shoe laces, bungee cords, comfort-waist pants, & rubber bands were still allowed in your carry-on. Strangling and sling-shot attacks are not something that I generally worry about when I fly. I'm pretty sure that the TSA doesn't either.

Just a note, it is not TSA's call for checked baggage. On our Alaska trip, I checked with TSA about my bringing my Whisperlite stove (checked baggage). It said I could, as long as there was no fuel. So, at the gate, I couldn't bring it, USAir wouldn't let me. Two flyers going American were allowed, as well as another flying Northwest. One of the American flyers was originally rebuffed, but the pilot actually walked by and he OK'd it.

I ran into two TSA guys at the Anchorage airport, and told them our story. They said that the TSA guidelines are just that, guidelines. It's up to the individual airlines and their discretion.

Last I checked, belts, shoe laces, bungee cords, comfort-waist pants, & rubber bands were still allowed in your carry-on. Strangling and sling-shot attacks are not something that I generally worry about when I fly. I'm pretty sure that the TSA doesn't either.

Are you willing to test it out for us ?
Many seemingly innocent items can be made into weapons. I am not buying TSA does not worry about strangling and sling shots. That is with about 10 seconds worth of thought. I suspect a serious terrorist would be considerably more creative.

Are you willing to test it out for us ?
Many seemingly innocent items can be made into weapons. I am not buying TSA does not worry about strangling and sling shots. That is with about 10 seconds worth of thought. I suspect a serious terrorist would be considerably more creative.

I have repeatedly flown with belts and bungee cords either on my person or in my carry-on luggage with no problem. True, I have not tested whether or not TSA would permit me to wear or bring comfort-waist pants. That I dare not test.

Just a note, it is not TSA's call for checked baggage. On our Alaska trip, I checked with TSA about my bringing my Whisperlite stove (checked baggage). It said I could, as long as there was no fuel. So, at the gate, I couldn't bring it, USAir wouldn't let me. Two flyers going American were allowed, as well as another flying Northwest. One of the American flyers was originally rebuffed, but the pilot actually walked by and he OK'd it.

I ran into two TSA guys at the Anchorage airport, and told them our story. They said that the TSA guidelines are just that, guidelines. It's up to the individual airlines and their discretion.
I have read a number of accounts of airlines being more strict than the TSA.

As for stoves--new is generally ok, but anything with fuel residues or that even might have fuel residues is likely to be rejected. (I've read of fuel (gasoline) bottles being rejected even if they had been washed and now contain drinking water... This was before there were limitations on liquids.) So butane and propane stoves (minus the fuel canisters) are likely ok but any used gasoline or alcohol stove may be rejected. I once saw a kiosk at an airline check-in counter proudly displaying the stoves that they had confiscated... (There were some nice old stoves in there.)

Alaska tends to be less restrictive than other areas and airlines.

The issue with stoves (and lithium batteries) is fire so it doesn't matter whether they are checked or carry-on--the only "safe" methods for such items are to ship them or buy at your destination.

Items which can be used as weapons can generally be carried as checked luggage.

Doug

I never taken Micro Spike with me on board.
We have bring our hiking poles,shortened, in our duffle bag (not on board) to Nepal, France (2 times) and Austria without any dammage.

Lithium batteries in original packaging, carried on board, appear to be O.K. :
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/batteries.shtm

Anyone have a different experience?

(I'm about to fly with a lot of lithium AAA's)
Note: we are talking about lithium primary (non-rechargeable) batteries here: typically AA and AAA.

Lithium cells in the device (eg a camera, headlamp, or GPS) are also ok.

Yes, the risk is that if the batteries are carried loosely (or poorly packaged), they could short and cause a fire. Metallic lithium fires cannot be fought with available on-board equipment. There is also a limit on the total amount of lithium metal that one can carry, but the limit is high enough that one is not likely to reach it when carrying a handful of AA cells.

Lithium-ion rechargeable battery fires, on the other hand, can be fought with water. (Almost every portable computer, cellphone, electronic book reader, and many games use lithium-ion rechargeable batteries.)

Doug