Sen.Chuck Schumer wants ADKs patrolled by Reaper Drones

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm more concerned with the privacy issues.

Didn't mean for that to be political but I can't help but think there are other motives besides training.

They have been trying to crack down on marijuana growers in the Dacks for some time and it just so happens that as the Mary Jane crop is maturing it's easy to identify from the air. Now there is an opportunity to use the latest and greatest military/goverment snooping technology to assist local law enforcment catch pot growers.

I think

But if the planes caught someone breaking the law, the unit would save the footage and give it to the cops, said spokesman Maj. Jeff Brown.

Implies this.

Clear support for the local cops. What else would they look for in millions of acres of trees except human activity. That's what these drones are made for? What else can and will they see? ? ?

What other illeagal activity can be observed from 40,000 feet? People sneaking acrooss the border, speeders, cutting down old growth, moonshining, camping to close to the trail?

Probably would be quieter than SAC was out of Plattsburgh back in the 80's.

Plattsburgh AFB fighter, FB111, A-10, or B52 lumbering just overhead or below you in one of the ADK cols is an experience to remember.
They are training hundreds of unmanned aircraft pilot trainees how to fly drones. Some of the drones are very sophisticated and secret. There was an article in the NYT during the last week about drones and their use. I expect learning to fly them in steep mountainous terrain has it's advantages, not the least of which is a lost drone is unlikely to fall into the hands of anyone but a hiker or bushwhacker.

Last edited:
One of my most memorable mountain experiences is I was in Alaska on a monstrous glacial shelf and two Warthogs came over the top of the peak 5,000' above me, came scraping down the face, cut a 40-degree lift into horizontal, ripped, skimming across the glacier, over my head with a massive roar then, like a skier dropping over a lip, they dropped a 50% nosedive and shot down the next face out of sight. That was the only sound in weeks.

Last edited:
One of my most memorable mountain experiences is I was in Alaska on a monstrous glacial shelf and two Warthogs came over the top of the peak 5,000' above me, came scraping down the face, cut a 40-degree lift into horizontal, ripped, skimming across the glacier, over my head with a massive roar then, like a skier dropping over a lip, they dropped a 50% nosedive and shot down the next face out of sight. That was the only sound in weeks.

Very Kool experience until they kick off an Avy. :eek: My instructor for Avy I Cert was a former Army Officer. He related a story during the course of while on maneuvers in the Pemi with Helicopters. They were flying close to the ground while moving up the length of Lincoln Slide when the whole thing let loose.

Didn't mean for that to be political but I can't help but think there are other motives besides training.

They have been trying to crack down on marijuana growers in the Dacks for some time and it just so happens that as the Mary Jane crop is maturing it's easy to identify from the air. Now there is an opportunity to use the latest and greatest military/goverment snooping technology to assist local law enforcment catch pot growers.

I think

Implies this.

Clear support for the local cops. What else would they look for in millions of acres of trees except human activity. That's what these drones are made for? What else can and will they see? ? ?

What other illeagal activity can be observed from 40,000 feet? People sneaking acrooss the border, speeders, cutting down old growth, moonshining, camping to close to the trail?

Actually, I think the US Military is primarily concerned with keeping peakbaggers off private land while pursuing ADK Highest Hundred Peaks. Consider yourself warned. :D

Moderator Note
Folks, you have some leeway here but please keep politics out of the thread. This is not a place to complain about taxes.

It was cool watching the FB111's darting up the valley below you from Mount Ellen.

As for drones, you will never know that they are there unless the FAA makes them run with navigation lights. And if there is a problem in the winter, alot of unnecessary risk can be removed from rescues.