Dead Moose around Chocorua: Big animal getting at it?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John in NH

Reaction score
As noted in a trail conditions report, I encountered a dead moose on the Carter Ledge Trail on Mount Chocorua Sunday, June 19th. I only spent a minute or two checking it out, the smell motivated me to move on fast, so I just assumed it died of disease and then scavengers took it from there.

However, I was just checking out my couple of pictures and noticed something I hadn’t originally—one of its entire front legs is missing, bone and all, separated at the shoulder socket! I did not notice a leg in the immediate area, but I didn’t do an exhaustive search. That coupled with the large stomach wound of skin peeled back intact, and everything from the neck missing except the skeleton has me wondering—did something big either kill it or get at it after the fact? Little critters and bugs couldn’t do that. Would a bear go after a carcass like that? Could it be evidence to examine in the whole mountain lion controversy? Could coyotes rip a limb off whole? What could separate an entire limb?

Previously I scoffed at the notion of mountain lions in New England, but since reading B the Hiker’s post on the lion killed in Milford, CT (an escaped pet) it got me wondering if we might be dealing with something similar in the Whites. Could someone have released one up here? I still highly doubt they would naturally be here.

I do have two pictures attached below ((they aren’t that gross much of the animal is intact, but if dead animals freak you out, they might not be your cup of tea--didn't embed for that reason)

Any thoughts as to what killed this thing and/or if something big got at it at any point?

Bear and coyotes would not hesitate on getting a free meal. I am sure if you did investigate you would of found tracks and scat of what ever was eating it. Saw a documentary on wild horses a few years back. Showed a bear eating a carcass of a horse that was struck by lightning.

I have it on good authority that the leg was a prosthesis and was retrieved to be given to another moose that needed it. I don't know about the other injuries tho.

Bear and coyotes would not hesitate on getting a free meal.

Coyotes would have no problem pulling it apart

Thanks. That would seem the most likely explaination, especially if coyotes are capable of it. I did subsequently get in touch with a ranger about it, she didn't seem to indicate that it would be anything more than that.

I hike solo often, and I guess the incident just reminded me that I am not necessarily the only meat eater out there, even if I don't always see bigger animals.

Glad I didn't eat breakfast yet.

yes, it was worse in person, you have to step over him to get by on trail! Hopefully my previous disclaimer would be enough to warn if a person was sensitive to seeing a moose that was nibbled/chomped on a bit. I posted the pics (as attachements you have to click to see) for the sake of figuring out if it was a large scavanger or predatory, thought evidence might help if anyone might be knowledgeable in such matters--hope it was an appropriate way to do so

Just another day in the Circle of Life!

I've seen coyotes running by my old place with deer legs, ribcages, even intact spinal columns in thier mouths!

In addition, I'm sure when decomposers get in there and go to work, parts come off more easily -- GROSS, I know! :D

I will warn the adopters (a couple from CT) of what awaits them. Hopefully most will be gone by the time they get up there.

I will warn the adopters (a couple from CT) of what awaits them. Hopefully most will be gone by the time they get up there.

Had a deer carcass on a local trail here close to a road crossing. 3 days later I rode the same trail and there was no sign of it except for an area of hair and vulture poop.

heynow thats one of my favorite descents! I'll have to get out there soon maybe the smell will help me improve my pr for the Chocorua loop!...at least the dogs will something to snack on

Anyone think Bigfoot? Archers in the forest on a hunt have equated BF with ripping limbs from the sockets of big mammals. And didn;t that BF organization have a 'hunt' near the Kanc a few years ago??