July 3rd Fireworks Observation hike ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
I'll be working all day and will have my wife and boys with me, so may not actually be hiking, but will throw this out there; Any Crawford Notch hike where the Mt Washington Resort is visible would be a great place to be Sunday July 3rd around 9pm.

If you feel fireworks are declasse and too intrusive in the Great Outdoors, you may want to avoid that area that evening.

Thanks. I was there long ago when my kids were little and it was a lot of fun and a beautiful atmosphere. I love fireworks! Hiked up the west side of Monadnock one 4th with a friend and that was a fun night, too.

Very interesting. For a lazy hiker (like me) would they be visible from low on the Caps Ridge Trail? Near the "Potholes"?

The potholes on Caps ridge have a great view of Bretton Woods. I wonder if one of the Sugarloafs would have a better view for similiar effort?

Depends on how high they shoot them, as the Rosebrook range (the BW ski area) is in between the Sugarloaves and the resort itself (golf course & hotel).

We saw the Memorial Day fireworks there and my impression is that they're not shot very high. It was a GREAT display, but it's pretty much down in the Bretton Woods bowl between the resort and the cog.

One year I took the lifts up Bretton woods to watch the fireworks with the family. To be honest they where low and less then impressive from up high.

Did Monadnock a few times for fireworks. Once for the Jaffrey show and once around the 4th. Believed we saw Rindge and Hancock in the local area and a lot of distant ones. It was close to 40 shows.

Would love to camp out on Lovell's island (Boston Harbor Islands) some July 4th.

Would love to camp out on Lovell's island (Boston Harbor Islands) some July 4th.

The July 4th fireworks are shot off from a barge in the Charles River between the Longfellow and Harvard bridges. From Lovell Island the heart of the downtown buildings would be between you and the fireworks. Some may be high enough, but I suspect you'd miss a lot.

Once upon a time, July 2nd or 3rd the Harborfest celebration would have fireworks out over the Harbor. Those would have been amazing from the islands. First Night's fireworks are over the harbor, too, but I'd rather not camp on Lovell then. :)