Counterclockwise Pemi Loop, 6/19/2011

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LRiz

Reaction score
This past Sunday Sasquatch and I ran our first Pemi Loop of 2011. The conditions were just about as perfect as they come - dry trails (including the infamously wet and aggravating GRT), cool temperatures, breezy ridgetops, and brilliantly blue skies.

Having run 50 miles in the 6 days prior to our loop, my only goals going into the run were to:

1. Take it at an enjoyable training pace, hopefully averaging around 3mph
2. Not to bonk while hiking up Garfield and Lafayette (two places where I have struggled in the past)
3. ...and of course, to have fun!

I estimated that we'd take around 10 to 10.5 hours to finish. We ended up doing a little better than that, reaching the suspension bridge in 9 hours and 37 minutes - my 2nd fastest Pemi to date! Last year, my Pemi "training pace" time was 10 hours 6 minutes, so it's uplifting to know that I'm continuing to improve upon my fitness and endurance.

What about the loop itself? Well, I'll let the pictures tell the story, as it truly was one heck of a stellar day:

IMG_6917.jpg

IMG_6918.jpg

IMG_6920.jpg

IMG_6923.jpg

IMG_6927.jpg

IMG_6942.jpg

IMG_6943.jpg

IMG_6948.jpg

IMG_6951.jpg

IMG_6957.jpg

IMG_6960.jpg

IMG_6964.jpg

...complete album here.

Our rough splits (based upon picture times from my camera):

Lincoln Woods - 8:14am
Bondcliff Junction - 9:04am
Bondcliff - 10:28am
Bond - 10:55am
Twinway Junction - 11:21am
South Twin - 11:58am
Galehead Hut - 12:22pm (15 minute break)
Garfield - 1:47pm
Skookumchuck Junction - 2:53pm
Lafayette - 3:12pm
Lincoln - 3:31pm
Falling Waters Junction - 3:44pm
Liberty - 4:22pm
Flume - 4:48pm
Lincoln Woods - 5:51pm

Awesome! You definatley must be doing something right in your training because you just keep on getting better!! :D

Any thoughts on clockwise vs counterclockwise?? Have one of these in the works for next month (plus W Bond and Galehead) and we were planning to go clockwise.

Awesome! You definatley must be doing something right in your training because you just keep on getting better!! :D

Any thoughts on clockwise vs counterclockwise?? Have one of these in the works for next month (plus W Bond and Galehead) and we were planning to go clockwise.

Thanks, Sabrina! :)

Having done the loop in both directions, I'd say that clockwise is probably the easier of the two. Since you're hitting the highest peaks first, almost all of the significant climbs are easier in the clockwise direction with the exception of South Twin, but once you're over that the rest of the loop is a breeze! The only downside is that you have a 5 mile flat slog out on the Wilderness trail, which can be rather tedious at the end of a long day.

I prefer going counterclockwise for a few reasons. Firstly, I love having that 5 mile wilderness trail section to warm up. Many stretches of the lower Bondcliff trail are "runnable," too, so I always find that I make decent time up to treeline. Secondly, I love hitting Franconia Ridge at the end of the day. There's just something special about it; I always seem to get an extra boost of energy as soon as I hit Lafayette and it propels me through the rest of the loop. Lastly (and probably most importantly), the Osseo trail is my FAVORITE trail to run down in the White Mountains. It's meticulously maintained and the footing is soft and easy on the knees and quads. I would much rather end my loop with the Osseo vs. 5 miles of Wilderness trail... :)

Best of luck with your Pemi Loop! I know you'll have a blast.

Last edited:
WOW Larisa, the photos are beautiful and the conditions look awesome!

Maybe some day I will attempt this, but I'd be thrilled to complete it in twice your time.

Tim

nice!

nice pics!!! looks like your avg speed was ~>3mph? NICE!!!! From what I've heard, a typical fit hiker averages around 2mph...

[Barring typical summer injuries, i plan a ccloop in july] --Becca

You guys picked a good day for it, nice cool and breezy. Impressive time for a training pace (with time for photos to boot!), it sounds like the female record might be getting a little faster this summer. Nice job guys

Thanks, Larisa -- that makes alot of sense! Clockwise gets that tedious GRT descent out of the way early in the day -- which leaves the S Twin climb but the huts right there so refreshments will help.

We are hoping for 15 hours -- I'd like to add N Twin as well but that may be pushing it.

:cool:

I will likely try another one this summer and from my one time doing this the run down from Flume is really a fine way to end the day. Running the five miles out from the Bonds would not be my choice either.

I will likely try another one this summer and from my one time doing this the run down from Flume is really a fine way to end the day. Running the five miles out from the Bonds would not be my choice either.

I agree Osseo is a super sweet way to end any big day of hiking --heck I've even run down it after a FRT :D

Good luck Dave! I am sure you will smash your last year's time!

Great job Larissa, That is an impressive time. Liz and I were up there Sunday as well. We did the Bonds traverse in about 10 hrs. Pretty impressive to think you did the whole loop in less time. I agree the views were real nice.

WOW Larisa, the photos are beautiful and the conditions look awesome!

Maybe some day I will attempt this, but I'd be thrilled to complete it in twice your time.

Tim

Thanks, Tim! In my opinion, if you can hike a Presi Traverse then you can definitely hike a Pemi Loop. Pemi Loop = Presi Traverse + a few miles of flat tacked on each end... ;). Go for it!

nice pics!!! looks like your avg speed was ~>3mph? NICE!!!! From what I've heard, a typical fit hiker averages around 2mph...

[Barring typical summer injuries, i plan a ccloop in july] --Becca

Thanks, Becca! I usually average around 2 to 2.5mph when just hiking. When trail running in the Whites (which usually translates into hiking all of the uphills and jogging flats/downhills for me), I try to average between 3 and 4mph... which essentially means that I'm averaging a walking pace when "running," I suppose :).

A beautiful day to be out on the pemi, nothing even comes close.

Who's better than you? :p

I hope, Toby, doesn't see this thread.

He was on his Facebook today and almost browsed to VFTT, but I was very persuasive and brought him out on a trail run so that he'd get off the laptop... ;)

My ultimate goal is to have DTob hike a Pemi Loop this year. We've done several 20+ milers, and I think that he'll be fit enough to do it in September if I keep up his training and we have perfect, cool conditions.

Wish we had seen you on North Lafayette, but left an hour or so before you guys arrived. Maybe see you soon!

KDT

Bummer we missed you! I hope you'll be able to make Toby's 48 finish, currently planned for late July/early August. It's been far too long since we've seen you guys.

You guys picked a good day for it, nice cool and breezy. Impressive time for a training pace (with time for photos to boot!), it sounds like the female record might be getting a little faster this summer. Nice job guys

Thanks for the kind words! I think the conditions were the best I've ever encountered out on the Pemi. I'd like to shave some time off my Pemi PR this summer, though I'm not sure if I'll ever be strong enough to hold the FKT.

Thanks, Larisa -- that makes alot of sense! Clockwise gets that tedious GRT descent out of the way early in the day -- which leaves the S Twin climb but the huts right there so refreshments will help.

We are hoping for 15 hours -- I'd like to add N Twin as well but that may be pushing it.

:cool:

I think you'll easily do 15 hours with Galehead and West Bond included. I hiked a clockwise loop in 2009 bagging both peaks, and I finished in a little over 14 hours I believe. Fingers crossed that you get good weather!

Doing a "fast" Pemi is all about playing to your strengths and pacing yourself wisely (at least for me). You're going to rock it, Dave!

Great job Larissa, That is an impressive time. Liz and I were up there Sunday as well. We did the Bonds traverse in about 10 hrs. Pretty impressive to think you did the whole loop in less time. I agree the views were real nice.

Bummer we missed you both as well! I'm so glad to hear that you got out and enjoyed the Bonds on such a fine day. Hope to catch up with you and Liz soon! :)

Great stuff Larissa! Beautiful pics of one of the most amazing stretches of ridgelines anywhere. I still can't fathom this myself. Hats off to all of you that are able to do this (and have fun at it as well and not just kill yourselves). For those of us that have no hope of ever doing this (other than in small chunks) it's great to be able to live vicariously through you.

Dave and Sabrina - best of luck with your loops. I know you'll have a great time out there too!