Another Monadnock Rescue - 2 this week

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erugs

Reaction score
From the Union Leader:

JAFFREY - A pair of hikers, caught in torrential rains and in the dark, were rescued Wednesday night from Mount Monadnock.

Steven Collazo, 29, of Killeen, Texas and Kristen Lomas, 25, of Leominster, Mass., set out on a day hike up the mountain but realized that nightfall was fast approaching and turned back before reaching the summit.

They were unable to follow the trail, however, because of heavy rain and darkness. They did not have a flashlight and lost the White Cross Trail on a steep section called the staircase, according to state Fish and Game.

They called 911 about 9 p.m. and a pair of Fish and Game conservation officers located them at 11:30 p.m. The hikers were soaking wet and “ill prepared to spend the night in the torrential rainfall,” according to a press release issued by Fish and Game.

Confusing Mountain

I'm not too into responding to lost hiker threads, but Monadnock has got to be one of the most confusing mountains to navigate. I am not sure who named the trails, but using the "white____" concept for several of the trail names was downright idiotic. And the blazes are confusing. Add a bunch of inexperienced and unprepared hikers and this is what you get.

Not sure if that was the problem in this case; I guess I don't really care, but after 25 years of hiking that mountain, I still get confused when I am on the top in foul weather.

They should rename and choose very new colors for their blazes. Seems pretty obvious to me.

I'm not too into responding to lost hiker threads, but Monadnock has got to be one of the most confusing mountains to navigate. I am not sure who named the trails, but using the "white____" concept for several of the trail names was downright idiotic. And the blazes are confusing. Add a bunch of inexperienced and unprepared hikers and this is what you get.

Not sure if that was the problem in this case; I guess I don't really care, but after 25 years of hiking that mountain, I still get confused when I am on the top in foul weather.

They should rename and choose very new colors for their blazes. Seems pretty obvious to me.

I am all for them removing each and every blaze to preserve the wilderness look and feel! :D;):D

It's a confusing set of trails - on the popular trails! Just try staying on the path on the confusing maze on the west side off the White Arrow. I think I've missed the same trail junction every time we've gone down that way. With the number of people that hike this mountain and the fact that the vast majority would never be prepared to spend the night or navigate off if they got lost it's amazing that there aren't more of these situations than there are.

I always find it peculiar how darkness can so skillfully sneak up on us without the slightest hint of warning so that any actions on our part to mitigate its effects are rendered useless.

I last hiked it in '09, I think, with the family. The rangers asked if we had maps and flashlights. Do they not "check" with everyone? In fact I think they were handing out maps and balked when I declined (I had one already, which they wanted to see.)

Tim

I once went into their office and asked if they had any "lost and found" fleece they could loan me, as I had left mine at home by mistake. They did but were a little relectant. Perhaps it helped that I was a faintly familiar face to them. It was a winter day (New Year's Day) and it turned out there was a rescue that afternoon and I stayed to help out if needed. And I returned the fleece, not really needing it after all but wanting to be prepared just in case as I had learned my lesson earlier.

Interrogation

I have been grilled in the winter also. I went in to pay, and one ranger started in on me, "Do you realize that it is 3pm?" Stuff like that. I told him all was ok. Another ranger turned around and looked me up and down, "Don't worry about him, you can see he knows what he is doing."

A few minutes later, as I was leaving my car, I noticed a group of guys leaving after coming out of the ranger's office. They looked like they were going to a dance club...

I do think it is smart of them to scrutinize.

I climb the mountain quite often because its not to far from home and I must say the level of ignorance is off the charts. I was there two weeks ago and saw two moms with about 8 kids go up and down the mountain in sneakers and shorts with no extra close no backpack. I shuddered at the thought of something bad happening to them they were on the backside of the mountain that doesnt see the traffic the state park sees

Uh Oh.

I didn't mean to stir the pot. I hope it is clear that I was not referencing the "hiker's" intelligence at all. I just think the trails are poorly named and marked and make it much more confusing for...well...anyone.

II shuddered at the thought of something bad happening to them 'if' they were on the backside of the mountain that doesnt see the traffic the state park sees

The Marlborough, Dublin, and Pumpelly don't seem to attract many inexperienced hikers as they are a little more off the beaten path. I avoid the state park and halfway house areas because I dislike the crowds and noise, but I'm glad that they exist as they keep the other trails quieter. Traffic on the Dublin path has increased with the better and expanded parking area at the base, but it is still my favorite for a quick trip. It is also shaded for most of its length so it is a better choice in warm weather. I usually stop at the ledge called Dublin Peak just after joining with the Marlborough trail, and avoid the crowds at the summit.

The Marlborough, Dublin, and Pumpelly don't seem to attract many inexperienced hikers as they are a little more off the beaten path. I avoid the state park and halfway house areas because I dislike the crowds and noise, but I'm glad that they exist as they keep the other trails quieter. Traffic on the Dublin path has increased with the better and expanded parking area at the base, but it is still my favorite for a quick trip. It is also shaded for most of its length so it is a better choice in warm weather. I usually stop at the ledge called Dublin Peak just after joining with the Marlborough trail, and avoid the crowds at the summit.

I was on the Marlborough Trail when I saw this which puzzled me cause you are right usually you only see those people on the halfway house white arrow and white dot/ cross trails. My Favorite approach is cascade link to spellman to pumpelly but only on weekdays not on weekends.

My Favorite approach is cascade link to spellman to pumpelly but only on weekdays not on weekends.

I've done the Spellman on weekends but I make it a longer hike by using the lightly travel Birchtoft trail that starts at the Gilson Pond area, and ends at the Cascade Link just below where the Spellman cuts off.

There were actually three rescues this week and there were a lot of ill prepared hikers this morning and the trails were very wet and slippery so there could be more. I can kinda understand misjudging darkness, slip and fall injuries, but I certainly can't understand why so many folks start out with 1-12oz water or none at all and end up in various stages of heat stress. I saw one guy this spring, snow still on the ground, heading up barefoot. It makes me wonder sometimes.

Been asked numerous times at the ranger station and on the trail if I had a light. Never really bothered me since I knew many unprepared hikers hike Monadnock. Worse was when i came across a father and his 2 daughter an hour after sunset. I offered him that i would hike down with him and also my extra light. Both offers he refused. Just told the ranger of the 'groups" situation and where i passed them.

As for routes my favorite are ones that including going over Monta Rosa and Bald Rock.