Monodnock - 11/13 Pls reply here

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakbagr

Staff member
Reaction score
Some folks seem to be going up on Friday.

When I first proposed this trip, it was to meet in the main trailhead on Saturday morning. Depending on the number of signups, we would break up the group as necessary, aim to get together on the summit, and then try to get back to the cars so we could then go somewhere for a bite to eat.
Some of us with a long drive in won't be camping,which is why it was suggested a pub fairly close to the trailhead.

Is there still interest in this general plan?

Pls let us know if folks are still interested and how many? Pub within close driving distance? Also, if we get a rough headcount here, maybe someone warn the place that a group is on the way?

Finally, weather. Given the driving distance, my thought was that the trip is weather - dependent?

Thanks,
Alan

As of now, I plan on heading up after work on Friday. As for Saturday eats/drinks, I personally vote for Harlow's.

I'm in for the hike, not sure about camping. I live in Peterborough and called Harlows, they don't reserve upstairs but have a downstairs room that can be reserved for $75 that would hold up to 30 or so. Saturdays can get busy in the main rooms.

Excuse me for asking but where is this place? I am supposed to go to Harriman for the day but maybe I can fill up the tank and head somewhere north.thx..

Monadnock is in Jaffrey NH(southwest area of NH), Harlows is in Peterborough NH

Last edited:
I plan on coming up just for the hike itself. I'm also in Leominster and can pick up one or two others from the Commuter Rail on the Fitchburg Line if need be.

Mark

Last edited:
I'll arrive Saturday morning for the hike. May stop by after for beer before I hit the road.

9AM in the parking lot, right?

I think this was all settled in the original thread, but that appears to be gone now.

We will be arriving Saturday morning and camping Saturday night.
I threw the pot luck out there to see if some folks wanted to stay put at the campground Saturday night.
If you have a good spot to go to close to Monadnock,I could easily be talked into hitting the pub instead! :D
The hikers cabin will be available for a late night warm up after we return to the campground.
If any campers could bring some firewood,it would be helpful.

Harllow's and weather forecast

Bob,

Yep, 9am in the parking lot. And Harlow's afterward. Lets see if we end up with enough to warrant a reservation. If we show up late in the afternoon, before the evening crowd, we may not need a reservation.

LETS BE SURE WE ALL CHECK IN HERE LATE THURSDAY OR EARLY FRIDAY TO DOUBLE CHECK THE WEATHER. As much as I've been looking foreward to this, its 5 hours roundtrip in the car for us and I'd probably bag it unless the day is forecast to be decent.

Not Camping

I look forward to meeting new friends on this hike. I live 45 minutes away and will not be camping either night.

My wife and I plan to attend. We will be at the lot at 9am, and probably be joining you all for a meal afterwords. We will stay friday night at a B+B. Anyone have any suggestions?

-percious

percious said:
My wife and I plan to attend. We will be at the lot at 9am, and probably be joining you all for a meal afterwords. We will stay friday night at a B+B. Anyone have any suggestions?

-percious

Here's the Lodging link from Windblown XC's website. I haven't checked any of these places out, this is just for reference:

Monadnock Area Lodging

Percious,

I have not been to either (since I live close) but have heard good things for The Uniquie Yankee in Fitzwilliam and the Inn at East Hill Farm in Troy. Both are within 10-15min drive to Monadnock.

Besides being close to Monadnock, they are even closer to Gap Mt. which is one of my favorite peaks and would make a nice and quick hike on Sunday morning.

I have run into a lot of families that go to the Inn at East Hill Farm on a yearly basis and know of a few that used to go there 'til they moved to the area. Might be a good chance to scout it out for future family trips.

Monodnock status report

So far there seems to be a concensus on Harlow's after the hike.

We have 16 who have said they'll be there so far, and we'll probably get more.
As a suggestion, probably a good idea to wait until we get to the trailhead to decide on trails, but right now, it looks like at least 2 groups if we try to keep the parties small.

Monadnock - 11/13

I am planning on being there by 9 am...I look forward to meeting all of you...and my wife is looking forward to not having me hike solo! I will not be camping...too close to home; but I could probably be coerced into going out after the hike. :)
I have not been to Monadnock in some time...how long (distance and time) is the hike...I forget.