Belknap Range trail question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kurchian

Reaction score
I'm interested a Belknap range adventure. Would appreciate comments about these two choices and whether there is a way to do them as a circle trip. Trails in the Belknaps are oft confusing.

Choice #1
Round Pond and Mt Klem.
Is this a reasonable hike and what is the best trailhead from the north?

Choice #2
Rand Mt and West Quarry Mt.
Is this a reasonable hike and what is the best trailhead from the north?

If your interested in a big day, I like to do a large loop in that area: 12 miles. I start at the Mt. Major parking lot and hike around Major and head over to East Quary, then on to Rand, Klem, Round Pond, Mac, Anne, Straightback and finish for a late day snack on top of Major. You can shorten the hike by cutting out Round Pond. Though the hike is 12 miles it is not too stenuous.
Jay

If your interested in a big day, I like to do a large loop in that area: 12 miles. I start at the Mt. Major parking lot and hike around Major and head over to East Quary, then on to Rand, Klem, Round Pond, Mac, Anne, Straightback and finish for a late day snack on top of Major. You can shorten the hike by cutting out Round Pond. Though the hike is 12 miles it is not too stenuous.
Jay

I agree with BF. I did this hike this past spring in the opposite direction, cutting out Round Pond. Great country and if in shape for it, not too too rigorous. Late in the day alone on Mt. Major was a nice change from earlier in the day when it was a circus.

Next spring I'll go back and hit Round Pond along with the rest of the range.

You'll be happy to have a trail map handy, they're available at Gilford Public Library.

Last edited:
I haven't been up to the Grant Rd trail head, Round Pond Trail, for a while but it had a house in it the the last time I was there. It was closed. I don't know if there is any access there or not. Glidden Rd is best for Rand and the Quarrys. These are very reasonable hikes. I think the view from Klem is better than from Major
http://www.franklinsites.com/hikephotos/nhbelknaprange.php
Bob

REK is correct about the trail head if you are only doing the area around Round Pond. Grant Rd is closed to the trail (house/posted). There is a parking lot off Bickford Rd. which is off Rt ll (n or s access). If you are doing Round Pond and Klem you should just continue around to Mack and then back to Round Pond and out. Limited views from Mack but you will get another BR peak (note-summit of Klem is off of the top area along a path/trail). Klem has great views and if you go in a couple of weeks lots of blueberries. You can also get to Round Pond from the boy scout camp (Camp Bell) which I believe they let you use (just ask at camp). The above mentioned larger loops and traverses are also great and relatively easy. I would also recommend the map(s) available at the library which is just down the Rt 11 from Bickford Rd. I believe there is access to the Quarries from Rt. 11 also but I have not hiked in this way. Once at the quarry you could go out to Rand. Would be an out and back unless you did a car spot.

I agree with BF. I did this hike this past spring in the opposite direction, cutting out Round Pond. Great country and if in shape for it, not too too rigorous. Late in the day alone on Mt. Major was a nice change from earlier in the day when it was a circus.

Next spring I'll go back and hit Round Pond along with the rest of the range.

You'll be happy to have a trail map handy, they're available at Gilford Public Library.

I'll third this using the loop TDAWG uses. Its a regular loop I use- has some nice views, some nice short technical ups and downs but nothing difficult. In the 5+ times I have done this loop I have never seen another person beyond The Quarry Cutoff until returning on Straightback.

I have used the map from this Belknap Traverse report for this hike.. http://www.hikenewengland.com/Belknap080719.html

ticks

I got something like 20 ticks on Piper/Whiteface last weekend so be prepared

yes ticks!

I hike in the belknaps regulary, and have picked up ticks going from the round pond trail to klem a week ago (the trail is often overgrown) and also whiteface/piper this. Be vigilant!

Map is a great idea if going into the center part of the range, there are tons of confusing diverging paths/old logging/snowmobile roads

Belknaps

There is no acsess from Grant Road. i would recommend if you want just the peaks mentioned, I would use the following trails.
From bickford rd turn left at the T onto WOOD rd for a hundred +- feet to a cart road that will lead you to a parking area in another hundred. The E. Gilford trail starts at the end of the lot (Sign) continue on the E Gilford to the first jct and the bridge. Continue straight accross the bridge and follow this Fire rd to the next jct with the Round Pond Trail Blazed (Red). turn slightly left and up hill to the Jct of the Round Pond link (Blue) and in about 20 feet turn left off the RP and stay on the Link (Blue) to the other side of the pond.Turn right and follow the road a short distance and on the left kind of behind you the trail to Mt.Clem sneaks off and uphill. After the view cont. a short distance to where the Quarry trail turns left.On the right is a path to the Top of clem. take the Quarry trail to Rand and over to West Quarry.Return the same way and at the Quarry/Clem jct. turn left and continue to the jct.that goes left to ANNA and right to Mack. Continue down to the jct of the road from The Camp. turn right and cont. to where you left this same road to go up Clem. Return the same way you came in. All these trails are in the AMC Southern Guide and on the map available at the Gilford Library.Any questions you can PM me any time. Hope this helps.

Thanks to TrailwrightBratt for a perfect description of the trails to Round Pond and Klem. Sometimes the trails in the Belknaps can be confusing so I was seeking some advice. Round Pond is a gem!