Parking tickets issued at Lincoln Woods

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim lombard

Reaction score
Just wanted all to be aware that when we parked at Lincoln Woods at 4am, we were given a $50 ticket at the end of the day. It used to be that you were given an envelope stuck to your windshield kindly reminding you that you owed the daily pass. We knew about the daily fee but I don't have a sticker and we were in kind of a rush to get on the trail.

When did they begin charging $50? It has a district court name on it. Lots of cars were ticketed in the parking lot.

This happened to my friend Mike last year, only I think at that time they tried to nail him for $75. He called them and explained the situation (he messed up and forgot all about the pass) and they told him to just send the $2 for the daily parking pass and they would call it good. So give the Forest Service people a call. Can't hurt and you can probably walk away only out of pocket $2.

Brian

I got a ticket in Sumter National Forest in SC almost 2 years ago. Was $50 with a $25 processing fee. Spoke to the ranger who gave it to me and he told me there were enforcing a zero tolerance policy. He did not agree with it but had to do it.

The thing is the collection box was out of site do to a few trucks parked at the gate when I drove in.

Just wanted all to be aware that when we parked at Lincoln Woods at 4am, we were given a $50 ticket at the end of the day. It used to be that you were given an envelope stuck to your windshield kindly reminding you that you owed the daily pass. We knew about the daily fee but I don't have a sticker and we were in kind of a rush to get on the trail.

When did they begin charging $50? It has a district court name on it. Lots of cars were ticketed in the parking lot.

Makes you wonder what they'll do with the $$? Pay for their own bridge clean-up projects? Build more "information kiosks" on the wonders of the flora & fauna? Or maybe something that actually maintains a trail or two?

(Will apologize for the sarcasm in advance. Am feeling snarky towards that particular ranger district.)

Makes you wonder what they'll do with the $$? Pay for their own bridge clean-up projects? Build more "information kiosks" on the wonders of the flora & fauna? Or maybe something that actually maintains a trail or two?

(Will apologize for the sarcasm in advance. Am feeling snarky towards that particular ranger district.)

totally agree with you, Kevin!!!! :)

This happened to my friend Mike last year, only I think at that time they tried to nail him for $75. He called them and explained the situation (he messed up and forgot all about the pass) and they told him to just send the $2 for the daily parking pass and they would call it good. So give the Forest Service people a call. Can't hurt and you can probably walk away only out of pocket $2.

Brian

Thanks Brian,
I'll pay the $3.00 fee as always, but this shocked me, who would think they'd hit you for $50. A real shocker at the end of the day. The funny thing is that I think my friend Steve (who bailed at Flume) was asleep in the car when the enforcement officer put the ticket on the windshield. :)

I got a ticket in Sumter National Forest in SC almost 2 years ago. Was $50 with a $25 processing fee. Spoke to the ranger who gave it to me and he told me there were enforcing a zero tolerance policy. He did not agree with it but had to do it.

The thing is the collection box was out of site do to a few trucks parked at the gate when I drove in.

This was a $25 fee with an additional $25 processing fee. For what!

Kevin I agree, sarcasm is noted and appreciated. They checked off a box that said I can appear in court. Unfortunately the District Court is in Pennsylvania!

No it was a $50 ticket with an additional $25 processing fee. $75 total. I was going to fight it but had to drive 3 hours to the court, and if I did not win the case I was told there would be court fees.

Taking the day off of work, paying for gas, etc to fight. Decided just to pay it. I sent a letter with pics to the district ranger office of what happened. They couldn't help BUT there is better signage for the pay box now.

No it was a $50 ticket with an additional $25 processing fee. $75 total. I was going to fight it but had to drive 3 hours to the court, and if I did not win the case I was told there would be court fees.

Taking the day off of work, paying for gas, etc to fight. Decided just to pay it. I sent a letter with pics to the district ranger office of what happened. They couldn't help BUT there is better signage for the pay box now.

I don't see a telephone number on mine. It says United States District Court Violation Notice. The front of the envelope says Central Violations Bureau and it's located in Philadelphia PA. The address is a PO Box. If I did want to appear and fight it, where would I go? There is no telephone number on it to contact. Also there is no vehicle license number and my name does not appear so how would they charge me the court processing fee? I plan on paying the $3 parking fee. You'd think they would've rapped on the window and asked my friend to pay it. :) Lincoln Woods parking was overflowing on Saturday and Steve said there were dozens of cars ticketed.

Last edited:
The funny thing is that I think my friend Steve (who bailed at Flume) was asleep in the car when the enforcement officer put the ticket on the windshield.

I laughed out loud at that! Why on earth wouldn't they just wake him up??

We have a senior pass, so free parking. But sometimes on the way home from hiking, we will stop at Lincoln Woods to use the restrooms and don't bother putting the pass on the windshield. Won't make that mistake any more.

Thanks for the heads up, Jim.

There was a major discussion on this when it started a couple years ago which you can find with a search if you care, obviously if they only charge $3 if they catch you it is silly to pay in advance but $75 sounds a bit steep

I believe if you go through the process you can get a hearing at District Court in Concord NH, since Lincoln Woods does have all the required amenities you would probably lose unless you could prove that the fee sign was missing

The new rest rooms at Lincoln Woods was funded out of the parking fee program! The Forest Service publishes a report yearly I believe where they list what projects recieve the monies.

The new rest rooms at Lincoln Woods was funded out of the parking fee program! The Forest Service publishes a report yearly I believe where they list what projects recieve the monies.

One year it was programs for a local elementary school, they don't all relate to parking and trail maintenance

Does anyone know if they payed for the Camera and Film for "Excreationary Surveillance" at Licoln Woods out of the parking fee program? Just wondering if my monies set aside for this are being applied appropriately.:rolleyes:

I'm going to mail the ticket along with $3.00 to Jim Hill at the ranger service in Campton. I'll also include a note with some explaination. Lets hope that is the end of this story.

this is why I buy the yearly pass for $20 cause I would forget and get ticketed I hope they dont make you pay $50 thats crazy

I'm going to mail the ticket along with $3.00 to Jim Hill at the ranger service in Campton. I'll also include a note with some explaination. Lets hope that is the end of this story.

I would be surprised if your explanation would hold any sway; but they might decide just to drop it so as not to spend any more time on it. I can not imagine an urban parking fine being excused because you tell them you were "in a hurry" and didn't want to take the time to put money in the meter (unless it was an emergency situation).

I don't enjoy taking the time to fetch those little envelopes, put $3 them, and slide them in the slots either; but I do. What is the point if other people get away with not paying just because they don't feel like taking the time? Hikers get enough guff from hunters, fishers, snowmobilers, and ATV users for supposedly not paying our fair share into the system. Why give them more ammunition by avoiding a little parking fee?

I would be surprised if your explanation would hold any sway; but they might decide just to drop it so as not to spend any more time on it. I can not imagine an urban parking fine being excused because you tell them you were "in a hurry" and didn't want to take the time to put money in the meter (unless it was an emergency situation).

I don't enjoy taking the time to fetch those little envelopes, put $3 them, and slide them in the slots either; but I do. What is the point if other people get away with not paying just because they don't feel like taking the time? Hikers get enough guff from hunters, fishers, snowmobilers, and ATV users for supposedly not paying our fair share into the system. Why give them more ammunition by avoiding a little parking fee?

As I said, they used to put the envelopes on the window as a friendly reminder and I would pay at the end of the day. At 4am we were in a hurry to get on the trail and I had every intention of paying at the end of the day. I would take the time and do it now for sure. I'm not thrilled with the parking fee but I pay it. Before I had children, I always bought a sticker, those days the hiking trips are fewer than before.

My purpose for starting this was to let others know that the Forest Service was charging $50 for a $3 rec fee. Kind of a shocker at the end of a day in the wilderness.

As I said, they used to put the envelopes on the window as a friendly reminder and I would pay at the end of the day.
They ended that policy a while back, I think when it went from a demonstration program to a permanent program. It was a conscious decision to issue tickets instead.

They ended that policy a while back, I think when it went from a demonstration program to a permanent program. It was a conscious decision to issue tickets instead.

This ended well. I sent the $3.00 fee and the officer accepted that and tore up the $50 ticket. He said Lincoln Woods was exceptionally busy that day (July-4th weekend) and they had to turn people away. I got the impression that he didn't like to give the $50 tickets.