Dan Doan Trail: new signs 7/3/11

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Berard

Reaction score
N. Thetford, VT Avatar: Cabot, winter 2011
2829801520099656796S600x600Q85.jpg

I had a great crew for heading out to the Dan Doan Trail this morning to install some sorely needed new signs. This was my first attempt at making trail signs....I think they came out pretty good.:)
2251495250099656796S600x600Q85.jpg

2385182020099656796S425x425Q85.jpg

2955152640099656796S425x425Q85.jpg

2103917930099656796S425x425Q85.jpg

Good Times:D

Nicely done, Jason.

I'm looking to hit this one soon for a big loop of Smarts/Cube. These will definitely help reassure I'm not parking in someone's driveway (I know almost nobody lives in Quinttown but you know what I mean :)) and on the proper route. Thanks for your work, fine lookin' trail crew you got there.

Nicely done, Jason.

I'm looking to hit this one soon for a big loop of Smarts/Cube. These will definitely help reassure I'm not parking in someone's driveway (I know almost nobody lives in Quinttown but you know what I mean :)) and on the proper route. Thanks for your work, fine lookin' trail crew you got there.

Thanks.
I Did a loop including the Baker Rd section last week (week before?) to clear some blowdowns along the AT on the south side of Cube, and Baker Rd is easy to find for your loop! When you hit the jct of Mousley Brook Rd and Quinttown Rd (where you cross Jacobs Brook) it is just before a gravel pile on the left. It looks like an ATV trail at first, but quickly opens up to be more road-like. Have fun up there!

New signs a great improvement

Jason, those signs were needed for sure, and they do look nice. Good of you to recruit the next generation as young as they can hike, they'll take pride in how they helped, and be much more aware of caring for trails and the land generally. No clueless tourists there...

Creag nan drochaid

New Signs

Donna and I both like the new signs. They blend in with the forest but are still noticeable. How did you make them and how long did it take? Thank you for hard work.

Mike and Donna

Donna and I both like the new signs. They blend in with the forest but are still noticeable. How did you make them and how long did it take? Thank you for hard work.

Mike and Donna

Thanks. Well, the basic design is standard to Dartmouth Outing Club signs (orange base with black type). I used a 1/4 round nosed bit for the letters, after laying it out in pencil first, and then lettering it with a 1/4" chisel-tipped sharpie to get the spacing right between letters (there are some spots that I don't like...on the first sign: "Doan" and "Trail" are too close!). Then, I wanted to snazz up the DOC logo a bit from what I see on most other signs, so I printed a B & W copy of the logo and printed it reversed. I transferred this to the wood using a "gel medium" technique (google gel medium transfer; It's cool!). For the logo, I used a 1/8" router bit. For painting, I did the orange first, then the black. The letters and logo were filled in with a medicine dropper type syringe, not a brush. All the paint was artist's acrylic paint. Being a former art major, I have a lot of art materials lying around! I'm thinking this will last better than latex or oil-based enamel, which is what most trail-sign makers use (pricey, though, if you don't have it around the house already!). Time will tell, though!

The substrate was some rough-cut hemlock I had lying around, so I had a lot of sanding to do as well!

Oh yeah, it took about 10 hours total for all three signs, I'm guessing? It'll take a lot less next time!

Last edited:
Very nice signs and I do like that design as recently did Moose Mt Shelter and
of course the signs are nice..great drawing on the sign leading to Moose Mt shelter from the south...did you have to feed your crew lobster and steak shrimp and steamers?? Like I do (but my crew ranges in age from 34 to 58!!!)
Lefty E

I'm going to assume you were authorized to do this, and say YES! They look great! :D

The only reason I bring this up is to point out that installing signs is limited to those who are given permission to do so...

I'm going to assume you were authorized to do this, and say YES! They look great! :D

The only reason I bring this up is to point out that installing signs is limited to those who are given permission to do so...

Thanks, Tom.
You've got a good point there, about permission. This trail is a "blue blaze" side trail of the AT, and the lower section is on private land. I made sure it was okay with the landowner before I started making the signs. They were quite happy for the new signs, because they often have to help misdirected hikers out there. The parking sign was especially welcomed, as they have folks park in their driveway from time to time.:eek: This, even when there is a gate, with signs that state that the road is private, and to please park in the trailhead parking area.

As far as Trail Club permission, usually, I would leave the signs to the Cabin and Trail folks. Actually, I can't think of another instance where I would even think of making and putting up signs. Generally, that is something they do, and do well. I have taken on Dan Doan as a kind of pet project in my role as Adopter Coordinator for DOC.....

Last edited:
Not sure what is more impressive the workmanhsip on the signs or the crew that was assembled to put them up.

Signs

Another great job. In addtion I hope we can get in another day this season.I am sure you won't mind that I include a comment from the family. I agree Dan would have quite a smile on his face over this. Thanks for posting, the more interest the better,Dan deserves it.

Dear Jason:

It's a great delight to see the signs—and the kids! Dan would get such a kick out of this.

Thanks so much to all,

Ruth=