Mt. Mansfield VT

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love sunset ridge, and I love maple ridge even more. But I would not recommend them for someone afraid of modest scrambling. Even Sunset has some exposure, ledges, and cracks. Nothing hard, but a novice may find it hard and hot and exposed in the middle of summer. Plus, as noted it is a long drive around to Underhill.

Camel's Hump is closer than Underhill, particulary via Duxbury. I can't remember that route, but I think it is much "easier" than Sunset in terms of scrambling. the main scrambling on Camel's Hump are the steps on the south side on the LT, but you won't need to go there. CH is an easy walk up from the Huntington side. Camel's Hump is really beautiful and special. If you go mid week, it would be really nice.

Easier and much closer to Stowe is Mt. Hunger. Mt Hunger has no scrambling that I can think of, and a very nice summit looking out over Stowe.

Thanks everyone for the replies. We did this hike on Saturday, and my girlfriend did fine on the terrain. It was indeed a bit more challenging overall than anything she'd encountered before (aside from the scramble near the top of Webster Jackson) but she did great and I think it helped build her confidence a bit. I will now feel comfortable bringing her on somewhat more challenging terrain going forward.

Alas, she didn't summit, but that owed more to fatigue and heat than the terrain (she'd only done one other hike in the past year). She stopped a couple tenths of a mile from where the Sunset Ridge and Laura Cowles trail converge and hung out on an overlook while I went to the crowded summit and back alone.

For all of those who advised against making the drive from Stowe all the way to Underhill State Park - we loved it! We found Smuggler's Notch to be extremely beautiful and interesting, and found all the homes and small outposts on the other side built along the dirt roads to be very charming and positively idyllic! It was a very enjoyable sight we would not have had the opportunity to see otherwise.

Thanks again, and to the Vermonters: this was my first actual visit to your state, and both of us loved it. I'll be back (and not just to finish the other 4ks)!

csprague

going there tomorrow!!

Tim - how long does it take to run the Sunset/Maple ridge? just an estimate would be great!!! even if you could estimate how long it takes to hike would help greatly!

Thanks!!

My best time on the loop is 1:46, fwiw. A few weeks ago, I ran it with somebody who wasn't a regular mountain runner (decidedly less psycho about flogging the steep downhills) and it took us 2:30. It makes a ton of sharp turns and has lots of weird little sections, so if you aren't familiar with the trail, just staying on route while running can be a challenge.

It's the fun-house of VT trail runs, I know you'll enjoy it!

In case anyone needs it, here is a .GPX file of the route

Click for bigger pic of route:

Last edited:
Thanks, Tim!

We're just going to check out some VT hiking for a change! Thanks for the route recommendation. :)

Hi all,

I will be in VT this week and am excited to try out the Sunset Ridge/Maple Ridge loop discussed in this thread. Someone posted on the conditions the other day and mentioned Underhill State Park being gated/locked. I did a bit of searching and I guess the park is closed for the season. Is it still possible to park at the end of Mountain Road? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

You can park near the gate, around 1/2 mile below the state park, until the road gets snowed in. After that, the turnaround is about 3/4 mile below that. So, it adds some distance to your trip.

Make sure you bring traction (microspikes or crampons) and full winter gear for this trip, this time of year. It's icy up high, and the ridge is fully exposed to wind & weather. Between the ridge up, the ridge across, and the ridge down, you're completely exposed to the northwest wind for more than four miles.

Have fun, it's a nice loop.

Yep - you can park on the side of the road where it's gated and just walk around the gate. IIRC, it adds about a mile each direction, but a pleasant walk.

Hi all,

I will be in VT this week and am excited to try out the Sunset Ridge/Maple Ridge loop discussed in this thread. Someone posted on the conditions the other day and mentioned Underhill State Park being gated/locked. I did a bit of searching and I guess the park is closed for the season. Is it still possible to park at the end of Mountain Road? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Thanks for the super-quick replies! I'll be prepared for sure. Any ideas on snowfall yesterday/last night? Is there a good source for checking snowfall info in VT?

Thanks again.