Portion of Tuckerman Ravine trail closed 7/18/11 for 4-5 weeks for reconstruction

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have always enjoyed Lions head, Boots Spur and Hunington over the Tucks.

I would not recommend Hunigton Ravine to most hikers.

Last edited:
Personally I love the alternatives of Boott Spur, Lions Head and Glen Boulder trails. All 3 add a new perspective for excellent views above treeline. Lions Head prolly gets you the closest to Tucks bowl as it really skirts its edge for a good little while. All are awesome routes. I do still need to try Huntington Ravine but I know enough never to recommend that as a detour to this.

I am glad to see some maintenance being done on that section of Tucks. Every time I do it, I know there is always one particular narrow spot up on the trail that you don't have any room for a mis-step where you can tell is a big time erosion spot. Dangerous little spot makes me curious as to what they will do... dig into the headwall for more trail room? Guess I will have to do Tucks after its complete to check it out.

I'm surprised that more hasn't been said about Nelson Crag.

Once you clear the treeline the views are great. It is also seldom used. I've been up it four or five times and only on one occasion did I see someone else on that trail, a solo hiker.

It also touches the Auto Road at one spot and I have talked with folks who have stopped at the lookout point there on their way up in cars or bikes.

It's true though, if you like hiking in crowds Lion's Head would be a better choice.

I'm surprised that more hasn't been said about Nelson Crag.

Good point.

The Nelson Crag Trail is excellent, in particular the section right after it crosses the Auto Road.

Using it in conjunction with Old Jackson Road from Joe Dodge Lodge and some of the other trails mentioned here -- Boott Spur or Lion Head -- makes for a nice loop.