Primitive campsites in VT

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yardsale

Reaction score
Anyone have a comment on the legality and feasibility of camping around the Underhill State Park campground just West of Stow now that the campground is closed for the winter? Water access? Can't seem to get to anyone in the forest service who can advise me. Thanks

I have friends who live nearby, and they say it's done, which doesn't mean it's legal. I'm trying to remember the road up to that campground and wondering if it's plowed all the way up in winter? I know the road up to the Butler Lodge trail is plowed. I'll ask my friends. As for official advice, wouldn't that be a question to ask VT state not feds?

My friends say that Underhill State Park is not officially open in the winter, but many do camp in the lean-to’s. There is no water at the park, but a stream along side the road runs all winter, and it's not too far up the road to use a sled to pull water up there. You can only get part way up the road in winter. About a mile of road up to the State Park is not plowed. However, it is usually tracked out by skiers and boarders and snow shoers. So it seems feasible, but this still does not speak to the "legality" of camping there, just the custom. Call VT state parks if you're concerned.