Appalachia Parking question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthShore

Reaction score
Is there a fee for parking at Appalachia? I'm planning to leave a car there for a few days.

I didn't see it on the list of Self-Serve Pay Station Locations on the WMNF website, but that wording still leaves some room for error.

Thanks,

Ed

Is there a fee for parking at Appalachia? I'm planning to leave a car there for a few days.

I didn't see it on the list of Self-Serve Pay Station Locations on the WMNF website, but that wording still leaves some room for error.

Thanks,

Ed

No fees for Appalachia parking.

Yvon is correct. Appalachia is on state land, not federal, and so it isn't part of the parking fee program.

Is there a fee for parking at Appalachia? I'm planning to leave a car there for a few days...

Suggestion. Don't post exactly when you'll be leaving your car there for a few days. Car break-ins are rare in the Whites, but Appalachia is one of the spots where it happens. The "people" who do these break-ins are generally as dumb as a box of rocks, but they can (and probably do) scan hiking websites. No need to be paranoid, but every little bit helps.

Have fun.

Suggestion. Don't post exactly when you'll be leaving your car there for a few days. Car break-ins are rare in the Whites, but Appalachia is one of the spots where it happens. The "people" who do these break-ins are generally as dumb as a box of rocks, but they can (and probably do) scan hiking websites. No need to be paranoid, but every little bit helps.

Have fun.

Sound advice, although for the record, I won't be leaving anything in the car (except maybe some crumbs).

Sound advice, although for the record, I won't be leaving anything in the car (except maybe some crumbs).
Sadly, it doesn't matter. On a trip a few years ago I found a truck parked there with both side windows smashed. There's really no need for that if your goal is to steal stuff.

Having said that, I have parked my car at Appalachia for decades without incident and plan on doing so in the future.

Sadly, it doesn't matter. On a trip a few years ago I found a truck parked there with both side windows smashed. There's really no need for that if your goal is to steal stuff.
Agreed. Friend of mine parked there awhile back and he left his car purposefully unlocked with nothing inside thinking they'd try the door before breaking the windows. No such luck, they broke the windows anyway.

I think sometimes when thieves find nothing, they get pissed off and resort to vandalism. :confused: