Azure Mtn fire tower

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i was there in september - you can now climb the tower again - the 2 missing flights of steps have been replaced .

it's been open for at least the last year or so...great mtn...with some great views of the mtns. and the river valleys/plains up in that area.

i would go soon as i think the road closes down for the winter...

Friends of Azure mountain restored the tower and the grand reopening was last year. The road is open year road but the parking lot is difficult in the winter. The road does have significant snowmobile traffic in the winter so be careful.
The road south of the tower is not kept open all the way to Paul Smiths, so you do need to come in from the north.

Spence,

Kate was just there last month and she reported that the hike and the tower were both delightful. In fact she got a few self-photos up in the restored tower. She also met the "friends of Azure" representitive up on top and bought the patch to support the group as well.

I'm sure she'll chime in on the subject.

**CHIMING**

Yes, Tim has my story correct and Azure was wonderful! It has a fresh coat of silver paint as well, so it was nice and shiny. I could even see it from St. Regis, my second mountain that day!

I bought the patch, which was very colorful and nicely designed and spoke with the interpreter, who directed me to some spots on the summit I'd missed!

Katie

WOW, one old thread. I'm in, as long as we can do some bushwhacking in the area as well. Maybe head over to three summits of West Mountain to the West.

I talked to a friends rep last summer who had a 111 patch, he says there is a ski route which exists but not yet officially marked which circles the other way from the former cabin clearing

I am planning on taking the family up there tomorrow. Hope the fire tower is still in good shape! Any news in the next 10 minutes would be greatly appreciated. :D

About 12 hours too late but...

As of a year ago the tower was still in excellent shape.

Also, I highly recomend stopping at Deer Valley Trails for food after climbing Azure. It's a little north of the trailhead, if I recall correctly. The food there is excellent.

About 12 hours too late but...

As of a year ago the tower was still in excellent shape.

Also, I highly recomend stopping at Deer Valley Trails for food after climbing Azure. It's a little north of the trailhead, if I recall correctly. The food there is excellent.

Happy to report that the Fire tower is still in great shape. The friends of Azure have done an excellent job on the trail around the summit too.
There is a large pile of rocks at the bottom with a notice asking hikers to carry a couple to the summit to help with erosion control. We did our bit and carried a few. Would have taken more but it was a very hot day.
It is an amazing little peak with fantastic views of the high peaks.

We saw the Deer Valley trails restaurant on the way out but decided to head to Meacham lake beach instead. The water was warm there and we had the beach almost all to ourselves.