Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 56

Thread: Fastest known time.

  1. #31
    Senior Member Pete_Hickey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Hull, Quebec. Avatar: Wanna come out and play?
    Posts
    1,976
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    How's this for a simple rule: it has to be car to car entirely off-trail .....
    Dang!!!! I wanted to work on that, but from time to time I go down by bicycle, so I'm out of luck.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

  2. #32
    Senior Member TCD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,903
    Neil, do you not have enough to do? Time on your hands?

    You need a hobby...I've got it! Why not take up hiking?

  3. #33
    Senior Member Neil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,434
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete_Hickey View Post
    Dang!!!! I wanted to work on that, but from time to time I go down by bicycle, so I'm out of luck.
    Pete, if you traveled by bike back and forth from your home up Canaday way to the Dacks and hiked all 46 peaks you too would deserve a B.

  4. #34
    Senior Member Neil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,434
    Quote Originally Posted by TCD View Post
    Neil, do you not have enough to do? Time on your hands?
    Time. One of the most common laments I hear these days is not having enough time. Strange as this might seem, I actually planned my life around having lots and lots of time, not money. Time to bushwhack, time to read, time to heal people, time to think, time to be.

    I will never be a human doing. I'm destined to be a human being.

    So, now that I've cleared that up, if you hike up a peak via a marked trail but bushwhack off of it would you count it as a bushwhacked peak? I ask the question because after whacking Dix via an outlier peak and the Beckhorn Slide we rode the herd path to Hough and bushwhacked off of Hough to the Boquet herd path. My partner was surprised that I didn't count Hough and I got the impression he viewed me as a hopeless case of OCD.

  5. #35
    Senior Member Raymond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    My gut is telling me no... but my gut is also very hungry.
    Posts
    1,536
    It usually seems a lot easier to bushwhack down than up, so I think that would be a different feat, not part of the same one.

  6. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    664
    Neil,
    Now, if like it is the case with Hough (and a few other High Peaks) I have in winter and in summer bushwhacked up and down same trip (and several times to make matter worse) do I have to do the same for all of the 46 to be able to say that I have bushwhacked the 46 since I did, even though quite involuntarily, set up rules for myself by my choice of means to a few of the peaks? As if I understand your latest post you may be incline to rile my accomplishments till the end of times...

  7. #37
    Senior Member Raven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    NH Seacoast
    Posts
    1,703
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Time. One of the most common laments I hear these days is not having enough time. Strange as this might seem, I actually planned my life around having lots and lots of time, not money. Time to bushwhack, time to read, time to heal people, time to think, time to be.

    I will never be a human doing. I'm destined to be a human being.
    Brilliant.
    Humankind has not woven the web of life.
    We are but one thread within it.
    Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.
    All things are bound together.
    All things connect.
    ~ Chief Seattle, 1854 ~

  8. #38
    Senior Member Neil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,434
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSpruce View Post
    Neil,
    Now, if like it is the case with Hough (and a few other High Peaks) I have in winter and in summer bushwhacked up and down same trip (and several times to make matter worse) do I have to do the same for all of the 46 to be able to say that I have bushwhacked the 46 since I did, even though quite involuntarily, set up rules for myself by my choice of means to a few of the peaks? As if I understand your latest post you may be incline to rile my accomplishments till the end of times...
    This is the best post on the thread so far because it brings to light an important issue.

    For starters I can't pass up the mention of accomplishments and riling or (in my words) judging. Accomplishments are nothing in my opinion, experiences are everything. The most important reason to do anything, whether it be a winter bushwhack up and down Hough Peak or an easy romp up the first Brother to pick blueberries, is to experience something that makes us feel good, not to accomplish something. And this brings me face to face with an inconsistency.

    Most of us here keep track of the peaks we have hiked to the top of and we check them off against a list that was established by someone other than ourselves. Correct?

    So, if the actual experience is the most important element of peakbagging then keeping track of our progress against a list that was created by someone else totally negates that and suggests that we hike these peaks in order to compare ourselves to a bunch of strangers.

    But, every hike I have done has brought me right back to where I started from.

    What has been accomplished? Nothing.

    What has been experienced? Plenty.

    Now, within the confines of bushwacking the 46: It doesn't matter what rules you set for yourself. However, setting forth one's own personal rules is very important in order to assure a consistent experience throughout the endeavor of bushwhacking to the top of each peak.
    Last edited by Neil; 07-19-2011 at 07:48 PM.

  9. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    near Albany, NY
    Posts
    525

    Talking

    Ha!! I like that " every hike brings you back to where you started " so nothing is accomplished!

    BUT I must disagree on the statement that " setting forth one's own personal rules is very important in order to assure a consistent experience throughout the endeavor of bushwhacking to the top of each peak. "

    I don't think that every peak lends itself to the same kind of adventure as every other peak and therefore it isn't possible for every bushwhack to be of the same degree as every other peak. Some mts need more than one route and others I struggle to find anything particularly noteworthy other than checking it off The List. I may need that Big Check Mark!

  10. #40
    Senior Member Raven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    NH Seacoast
    Posts
    1,703
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    And this brings me face to face with an inconsistency.

    Most of us here keep track of the peaks we have hiked to the top of and we check them off against a list that was established by someone other than ourselves. Correct?

    So, if the actual experience is the most important element of peakbagging then keeping track of our progress against a list that was created by someone else totally negates that and suggests that we hike these peaks in order to compare ourselves to a bunch of strangers.
    If I may jump in with some random comments as I have thought about this question often:

    1. Everyone who hikes gets his or her ideas for destinations somewhere...a guidebook of some sort, a website, hiker friends, or maybe peakbagging lists. For those obsessed with mountains, whether peakbagger or not, "the lists" are a good place to start, so peakbagging to me is a nice way to get a broad view of the mountains, not always gems, some easy, some hard, the outstanding ones, etc....

    2. The word "Peakbagger" means different things to different people. A personal example: when I completed the W48, it was on West Bond. I had done Bond and B.Cliff 6 years prior. I wanted to do an overnight for this one as I had for some others - so it took me 4 more attempts with a backpack before the stars aligned. I could have found easier, lighter, faster, and quite frankly warmer options for "checking it off." We all hike and experience the lists differently. TEHO, HYOH, etc. If blazing through the lists makes one happy, then hell yeah, but even among peakbaggers, we're each unique in our methods/experiences.

    3. The experience is different for each "peakbagger" regardless of whether one is hiking a list someone else created and did first...there is always someone who "did it first" on some level - these mountains have all been climbed, named, and mapped. Your experiences hiking a list is a combination of many factors, only one of those being that someone did this group of mountains before. If you believe in impermanence (I do), the trail, you and everything else is in a constant state of change anyway - it's different every time.

    4. Let's say I come up with the next great peakbagging list and I'm the first to do it. Have I done something new? On one level yes. On another, no - people before me have been coming up with lists of mountains to climb based on a set of characteristics for years. It's not a new idea, just a new spin off an old one. You can focus in or pull back your perspective a little when looking at this.

    I come to the same thought most times when thinking about the more existential issues that accompany peakbagging. To me, the more essential question is not if one is a peakbagger, but rather whether or not one's soul is connected to the mountains.

    Just random comments, all my opinion.
    Last edited by Raven; 07-20-2011 at 12:11 AM. Reason: typos
    Humankind has not woven the web of life.
    We are but one thread within it.
    Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.
    All things are bound together.
    All things connect.
    ~ Chief Seattle, 1854 ~

  11. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    near Albany, NY
    Posts
    525

    Smile

    Seems like I'm reading all these comments and thinking - yeah, yeah, I agree, yup, same here. So when I make the point to pick out the line that gives me disaccord it is in the background of harmony.
    But I must disagree w/ the conclusion that the only thing that matters is that one's soul is connected to the mts. My soul is not connected to the mts but to the Creator of the Mountains.

  12. #42
    Senior Member Raven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    NH Seacoast
    Posts
    1,703
    Quote Originally Posted by iceNsnow View Post
    Seems like I'm reading all these comments and thinking - yeah, yeah, I agree, yup, same here. So when I make the point to pick out the line that gives me disaccord it is in the background of harmony.
    But I must disagree w/ the conclusion that the only thing that matters is that one's soul is connected to the mts. My soul is not connected to the mts but to the Creator of the Mountains.
    I won't argue that. I might suggest that perhaps soul conections are more like webs than chains and may be connected to both or that Mountains may also be a channel between the two. Of course, this is all one's personal belief and experience now.

    To add something more specifically on topic, I think bushwhacking the ADK46 is a very cool idea, whether original or not. Personally, I follow the no-GPS "ruling" on my bushwhacks (which I have been on break from for a few years but am feeling the bug more and more again) but this is simply because I like the challenge of finding my way with map, compass, and some dead reckoning.

    In terms of speed records (and I like to go fast too), I'm impressed with the physical stamina, strength, and mental fortitude it takes to break a speed record in the Whites or ADKs, but what I would find really compelling would be something like a three-year thru-hike without extended break or someone who, instead of doing the 46 or 48 unsupported as fast as possible, took 3 weeks. Endurance tends to get my attention over speed.

    Either way, I like reading about the ways people experience the mountains and enjoy the variety in their chosen paths.

    I do find myself defending peakbagging to those who think it means you lack a certain love or connection to the mountains however. BS.
    Humankind has not woven the web of life.
    We are but one thread within it.
    Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.
    All things are bound together.
    All things connect.
    ~ Chief Seattle, 1854 ~

  13. #43
    Senior Member Neil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,434
    Quote Originally Posted by iceNsnow View Post

    BUT I must disagree on the statement that " setting forth one's own personal rules is very important in order to assure a consistent experience throughout the endeavor of bushwhacking to the top of each peak. "
    In other words, "don't let the tail wag the dog". Makes a lot of sense to me.

  14. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    near Albany, NY
    Posts
    525

    Thumbs up

    My tail is wagging lots now! Raven, I think we should recruit you to join us for a bushwhack!! Where do you live? Sounds like you'd mesh just fine. Interested?

    oops - I see you are from NH - prob a bit far... but if you do get over to the adks, let me know

  15. #45
    Senior Member Raven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    NH Seacoast
    Posts
    1,703
    Quote Originally Posted by iceNsnow View Post
    My tail is wagging lots now! Raven, I think we should recruit you to join us for a bushwhack!! Where do you live? Sounds like you'd mesh just fine. Interested?

    oops - I see you are from NH - prob a bit far... but if you do get over to the adks, let me know
    Sounds like fun. I get over to the Salmon River/Pulaski about once a year, not too far south. If I am coming over that way, and can manage, bushwhacking in the ADKs would be awesome.

    Sometimes, I lurk the NY forum just to see what's going on over there...I grew up in the Southern Tier.
    Humankind has not woven the web of life.
    We are but one thread within it.
    Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.
    All things are bound together.
    All things connect.
    ~ Chief Seattle, 1854 ~

Similar Threads

  1. Northeastís Fastest Known Times
    By ferrisjrf in forum General Backcountry
    Replies: 88
    Last Post: 08-21-2020, 06:36 PM
  2. NH 48 - Women's Fastest Known Time
    By briannajo in forum Trip Reports
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-22-2014, 04:44 PM
  3. Fastest way to Manchester VT from NYC
    By Daniel Eagan in forum Q&A - New England
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-26-2009, 08:50 PM
  4. Fastest Way To Gore
    By MrOysterhead in forum Q&A - New England
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-11-2005, 12:38 PM
  5. Fastest way to Conway?
    By Mongoose in forum General Backcountry
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-10-2005, 07:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •