Thread: First Pemi Loop, 7.2.11

First Pemi Loop, 7.2.11

CCW Pemi Loop, 7.2.11

This past Saturday my friend Carmen and I decided to shoot for a Pemi Loop. It would be the first loop for both of us and since it would be a large jump up in mileage from the longest day hike either of us had done, we were hoping for about a 14h finish including West Bond. We started down Lincoln Woods at 5:45 am and along the way discussed which direction to take and I was able to talk Carmen into going for the CCW route to get the long and boring section up to Bondcliff done while it was early in the day so the miles would slip by unnoticed. We hadn't hiked together in a few months so we had lots of catching up to do and before we knew it we were up on Bondcliff just after 8:45 am. We hadn't bothered to refuel much along the way so we took a few minutes at both Bond and West Bond to recharge and take some photos (It was my 3rd time to the Bonds in the last 3+ months but it was my first time getting the views).

We picked up the pace and made what felt like good time up South Twin and made the much anticipated left hand turn towards Garfield. Our time to Garfield was a little slower than we would have liked but wasn't much outside what we had hoped for. We crossed paths with Chris Dailey who was doing a CW loop as well as another group of 3 doing the same route a little ways behind him.

On Garfield we took our longest break of the day but still we both bonked heading up Lafayette. I think it was a combination of the heat and the elevation already under our belts but it took a disappointing 2 hours from Garfield to Lafayette. The crowds weren't too bad up on the ridge but we did manage to see some golfers teeing off up on the summit of Lafayette--that was a first. As expected with Lafayette under out belts we made good time heading over to Flume in < 2h, passing only a handful of hikers enjoying the gorgeous sunny weather. We made pretty good time down Osseo which instantly became one of my favorite trails for its good footing and easy grade. When all was said and done we wrapped up just a tad later than we had hoped, coming in at about 14h 25 min (including W Bond). We were pretty satisfied with that time since we only ran/trotted 3-4 miles out of the hike, so hopefully next time with a little more running we can add in Galehead and N. Twin in roughly the same time. Not much more can be said other than it was an awesome hike, we met a bunch of great people and saw some familiar faces, and I can't wait for the next loop!

Pat
    pcushing21 at yahoo.com

pics:

Bondcliff from Bond

Bondcliff from W. Bond

South Twin; clouds lifting off the presis

Carmen en route up Lafayette

In need of some espresso GU on Lafayette

Golfer on Lafayette

obligatory Franconia Ridge shot

Bonds from Flume
    Last edited by Bombadil; 07-06-2011 at 11:10 AM.
    All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
    The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
    -J. R. R. Tolkien

Nice! That section between Garfield and Lafayette seems to take longer than it should either way you go, CW or CCW. I think all the loose cobble through there slows you down a ton.
    Great Pics.
    Save NH Moose!
    MY BLOG

Is it even possible for somebody hiking somewhere down there minding their own business, enjoying their day to get a golf ball out of the sky to the head? Damn that would suck. And then what if that hiker died from the golf ball impact... your picture would be evidance. Not the smartest thing launching and raining down golf balls where people have known to bushwack a lot in that area. Who knows.

Anyway, awesome loop! I am hoping to someday pull off the loop in either direction.
    Steve ****JAZFUNK****

Givin' Up Food 4 Funk

congratulations to you and Carmen! beautiful photos.

Congratulations. I hope to complete one someday. We were a group of 4 that started from Lincoln Woods at 4am on the 2nd, hoping for a CW traverse. The group of 3 passed us on the ridge. We made it to the Skook jct and decended. You were smart to keep it to a couple, 4 was too many, we ended up waiting a lot. We'll try CCW next tiime
    But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.

http://www.onchristspath.com/4Kpage.html

Great job on the Loop! It's a great feeling to get up on top of the Bonds so early in the morning, isn't it? As I said in my trip report last year, "Lafayette is much higher than it needs to be."
    You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself, any direction you choose. -- Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by shamples View Post
    Is it even possible for somebody hiking somewhere down there minding their own business, enjoying their day to get a golf ball out of the sky to the head? Damn that would suck. And then what if that hiker died from the golf ball impact... your picture would be evidance. Not the smartest thing launching and raining down golf balls where people have known to bushwack a lot in that area. Who knows.
    +1 on that!
    Tom Rankin
    Web Master - NY Forest Fire Lookout Association
    Volunteer - Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President - Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO - Views and Brews

Quote Originally Posted by surf88 View Post
    Nice! That section between Garfield and Lafayette seems to take longer than it should either way you go, CW or CCW. I think all the loose cobble through there slows you down a ton.
    Great Pics.
    Thanks, I agree its slower than you'd think. Just a bit too much elevation gain late in the day for weary legs!

Quote Originally Posted by blaze View Post
    congratulations to you and Carmen! beautiful photos.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim lombard View Post
    Congratulations. I hope to complete one someday. We were a group of 4 that started from Lincoln Woods at 4am on the 2nd, hoping for a CW traverse. The group of 3 passed us on the ridge. We made it to the Skook jct and decended. You were smart to keep it to a couple, 4 was too many, we ended up waiting a lot. We'll try CCW next tiime
    Bummer you started at 4am and didn't get to complete the loop. FWIW I do think the loop is a little harder and a little more mentally taxing than a presi traverse. So that's probably a good measuring stick to use before your next attempt. Good luck on your next attempt!

Quote Originally Posted by David Metsky View Post
    Great job on the Loop! It's a great feeling to get up on top of the Bonds so early in the morning, isn't it? As I said in my trip report last year, "Lafayette is much higher than it needs to be."
    You're right it is odd to get up there so early in the morning. In fact even with Guyot right there we didn't really start to run into people until South Twin. What a ridge to have all to yourself!

Lafayette hadn't given me trouble in the past but with a chuckle I must now agree. If everyone did their part and brought a few shovels of dirt to fill in the col between Garfield and Lafayette it would be a little more bearable!
    All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
    The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
    -J. R. R. Tolkien