I succumbed to the hype and bought some Vibram FiveFingers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are many types of uniforms in the services and rules that go along with wearing them. I know in the CG you can only wear a certain hat or shoes with a certain uniform. CG even tells you what type of a uniform ball cap you can wear. Thats part of being in the military; a consistant image.

interesting

I like the concept but what do you do when they become stinky? I mean after a few outings, when the body vapor trapped in those 'compartments' starts to grow bacteria (stink), how do you get the critters out? Normally sunlight kills these critters but you would need to be able to turn the 5 fingers inside out. Is it possible?

My second fear is my own clumsiness when on the trail I struck a rock or a root ... ouch.

climbed mt willard yesterday in the five fingers and did and a jaunt out to emerald pool. my feet loved them and my legs were very tight when I got done. I enjoyed them on the trail more than I thought I would but it is slower decending than with boots and trail runners cause you need to pay attention more to were you are putting your feet. I cant wait to go out and use them again but I thinking it will take quite sometime before I am bagging 4000 footers wearing them.

Thanks for the feedback FT. I played around on Mt. Wachusett in mine today. They were awesome on the ascent but, as you found out, I was extra careful coming down. I was amazed at how well they did on the way up. Towards the very end though, the toes on my right foot started to feel like they were becoming a bit raw. However, upon inspection at the end of the hike, my feet looked fine. I was probably just at my limit for the day hiking in them at this stage.

I'm curiious on how they get those things to fit all the different toe types. I'm one where the 1st toe after the big toe is longer than the big toe. Some folks have toes that go pretty much straight across. Do they have different styles to accomodate different foot/toe shapes or do you need to use a belt sander?? :eek:

http://birthdayshoes.com/got-morton-s-toe-lengthen-your-vibram-five-fingers-seco nd-toe-with-this-mod

Although that looks like a lot of work.

Also, if you are looking to get the "barefoot" feel, there are more options now than there were a year ago. BF became popular quickly largely due to "Born to Run," and the shoe companies had to catch up. So a mob of people were seeking something lighter and more flexible than traditional trail runners, and the VFF was one of the only options. I think separating the toes with material is not necessary, as long as the toe box is roomy enough and flexible enough for the toes to operate independently. This year, you have at least the Merrel Trail Glove and New Balance Minimus to choose from. These are very light, flexible, roomy shoes, but without the forced rubber toe separation.

I think the current popularity of BF is partly valid, and partly fad. It's a little like Tele skiing. It has lots of benefit, but it's more work. So while it's cool, a crowd of people will try it, but about half of them will give it up after a while.

TCD

I'm curiious on how they get those things to fit all the different toe types.
Unfortunately, they cannot accommodate people with extremely unique feet especially those with syndactyly. They make it a point to stress that these shoes are not for everyone and will not fit every foot type out there.

I think the current popularity of BF is partly valid, and partly fad.
Agreed.

I'm curiious on how they get those things to fit all the different toe types. I'm one where the 1st toe after the big toe is longer than the big toe. Some folks have toes that go pretty much straight across. Do they have different styles to accomodate different foot/toe shapes or do you need to use a belt sander?? :eek:

I really like mine although they fit my feet pretty poorly. I have Morton's toe so I used a grill lighter to heat the rubber and stretch that toe pocket. Then my 4th toes have a 3/8" gap between end of the toe and the pocket, and my little toes have a gap larger than 1/4". I seem to catch those toes quite often. I'm thinking about trying something like the trail glove next.

Wore my fingers up oceola on Thursday. It was my first time climbing a 4k with them. Made it all the way and a little over half way down. I must say that it was quite the leg workout. I will definitely were them again going up but I don't think down a little to
tedious.

I really like mine although they fit my feet pretty poorly. I have Morton's toe so I used a grill lighter to heat the rubber and stretch that toe pocket. Then my 4th toes have a 3/8" gap between end of the toe and the pocket, and my little toes have a gap larger than 1/4". I seem to catch those toes quite often. I'm thinking about trying something like the trail glove next.

I was reading though this thread and I came on this post. Morton's toe, I said, what's that. I looked it up.....Thanks a lot guys. All these years and I never knew I had a foot disorder. :eek: Never had the slightest problem. :) But after reading up on it I can't even walk across the kitchen floor...the pain is so excruciating. I'm sure reading this thread has finished my hiking career.:rolleyes:

I think I'll move on to my GPS website it doesn't make my feet hurt so much.:cool:

Ok, looking for an update or further feedback reguarding Fivefingers and hiking. If I were to buy a pair I would be interested in using them for jogging/light trailrunning and normal trail hiking. I have noticed several newer models also...looking to buy a lighter hiking shoe for this summer and considering these.

Which models of Vibram FiveFingers are you using and what is the feedback on them? I know of more people using them for running and every day activities and am wondering how valid they would be for high peak hiking.
Among the things I'm curious about:
-Do they provide enough protection
-Do they keep out debris from inside from normal hiking, and when you submerge into a puddle of mud.
-Wear and tear
-Moisture buildup and venting/hot spots
-In reguards to the debris issue, can they be made to work with gaitors

Thanks for any feedback

I bought a pair (the all leather ones with laces, I forget what they're called; I prefer natural materials where practical) about a month ago. Dunno about the hype, saw 'em for the first time when buying XC skis at EMS; the sales girl was wearing them. I have to say I like them better than any shoes I've ever worn. But them, I'm barefoot a lot when it's warm enough; these things mean I can be barefoot without worrying (as much) about stepping on sharp things. Also... you ever have anybody massage your toes when your feet are tired? This is like that, when you're still walking.

So far I've only used them on short day hikes, no heavy pack... but that's coming. Time will tell them how long they last, but if they last a year I'll have gotten my money's worth and will buy another pair.

Ok, looking for an update or further feedback reguarding Fivefingers and hiking. If I were to buy a pair I would be interested in using them for jogging/light trailrunning and normal trail hiking. I have noticed several newer models also...looking to buy a lighter hiking shoe for this summer and considering these.

Which models of Vibram FiveFingers are you using and what is the feedback on them? I know of more people using them for running and every day activities and am wondering how valid they would be for high peak hiking.
Among the things I'm curious about:
-Do they provide enough protection
-Do they keep out debris from inside from normal hiking, and when you submerge into a puddle of mud.
-Wear and tear
-Moisture buildup and venting/hot spots
-In reguards to the debris issue, can they be made to work with gaitors

Thanks for any feedback

Scotzman, I have the KSO Treks which are made the ones recomended for hiking. I have climbed Oceola with them and done some other small hikes with them. I find that they do protect your feet from cuts and such but if you step on something pointy you feel it. Going down hill I found to be very time consuming cause you really need to watch your step much more so than if wearing boots or trail runners. I have had no issue with debris getting in. I have worn them to the beach and sand didnt really get in there that much. I think they are great for running ( keep in mind if you have never worn them you have to change your normal stride and run so you not impact your heal.) Hot spots seam no better or worse than other footwear I own. I would not wear these above treeline the biggest downfall of the ones I have is the SUCK ON WET ROCK! They are not water friendly shoes. I thought they would be good a crossing water and swiming but I almost cracked my skull open wearing them in Emerald Pool last summer. If you want a truly fantastic light weight hiking shoe I recomend anything buy Inov8 I have the roc lite 312 the 315 gtx and the 288 gtx and I love them all! They feel like nothing is on your feet and the grip is amazing. I have put 100+ miles on the 315's and the others I just got and cant wait to use. Hope this helps:)

My second and third toes are both longer than my first. I've been using VFF's for about 3 years. I haven't had a problem with them in any of my VFF's.

My first pair was over-the-ankle neoprene KSO's - not made anymore. Great for cold weather, the most challenging to take on and off. The Flow looks similar, but doesn't go over the ankle.

The next pair was KSO, similar to the type still made. Better for warm weather. The mesh allows a little more debris to get into the shoe, but has never been so much that I've wanted to stop and take them off. Two years old, worn for at least a few miles nearly every day for about 6 months out of the year, and still in good shape.

Scored three more pairs this spring due to great sale prices. Except for the two pairs I've received as gifts, I haven't paid more than $50 for any of them.

Sprints: Similar to the KSO's, but less covering over the top of the foot. Worn twice so far. Both times last week for outings of 5-7 miles each, a mix of running and walking. Cooler still than the KSO's. I did get a few scratches on the top of my feet. I had a bit of discomfort, loosened the straps, and they were fine.

Classics: Got 'em for walking around shoes. They've been fine for dog walks, don't know how they'd be for running.

All of these have very similar soles. Decent traction except on mud, snow, ice, and wet leaves. They're fine on slabby rock and I haven't had a problem on wet rocks either. I prefer these for outings to about 10 miles when I'm carrying no more than a few pounds.

Bikilas: These feel the least barefoot of any of them. Used once for about 6 miles running/walking in the Holyoke range. The sole and insole are a bit thicker which means it isn't as flexible. If I flex my toes in the other models, the toe pockets flex along with my toes. In the Bikilas, my toes flex inside the pockets. I thought the treads might extend the use of VFF's in the conditions where the others might be too slick (i.e. mud). With the thicker soles, ground-feel isn't quite as immediate. Along the trap rock of the Holyoke Range I noticed I was making foot placements in these that I wouldn't have made in the other VFF's, such as stepping down onto pointy rocks. This might extend the range in which I'm willing to wear VFF's. I liked the bit of padding in the covering atop the foot. A couple of times I tangled in brush or a rock rolled over my foot - no scratches in these! I did not like that more debris gets into these. Unlike the others, I stopped twice to take them off to clean them out. Perhaps it's because there's no way to tighten the heel?

Gaiters: I wouldn't use any of the VFF's with anything that needs to strap under the foot.

Adjustment period: I didn't have much of one, but I've always been a forefoot-strike runner. That's mostly how I walk too, if I'm barefoot. It takes 3-4 runs before the calf tightness stops happening when I start wearing these in the spring. They're too slippery for winter trail running in snow. Not a problem this spring - given the lack of snow I wore them nearly all winter.

I almost never get comments on them. People are usually too busy paying attention to Caboodle!

I'm surprised nobody here has yet mentioned the class-action lawsuit against Vibram, "accusing the company of falsely advertising the health benefits the shoes provide."