46er Finish on Skylight, June 30

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA Ridgerunner

Reaction score
After a decent night's sleep, considering the anticipation of our big day, we met Snickers at the HPIC at 6am, and were on the trail by 6:10. The weather was damp and dreary to start, with a light rain falling for part of the hike to Marcy Dam...this was not the forecast, so we remained optimistic that we would have great weather for our finish. Somewhere around the dam, Cindy decided that she wouldn't accompany us all the way, so she gave us each a 46er patch and made us promise to finish. That was my first clue as to how emotional this day would be, as I about started to bawl when she handed them to us. We parted company just before the bridge over Marcy Brook and began the long climb to Lake Arnold Pass, where the sun finally started to peek out.

From the top of the pass to Feldspar lean-to the trail was a delight! Such terrific trail work has been done here since we last passed this way in May 2010 when we climbed Cliff.
100_4487.JPG

100_4490.JPG

We now had a full head of steam as we continued up to Lake Tear. We had only seen it from Marcy's summit and were eager to see her close up. Here's a photo of Fran straddling the outlet, fashioned after the photo James Burnside took of his son and included in "Hiking the 46 Adirondack High Peaks."
100_4509.JPG

We made relatively short work of the climb of Gray...or at least our time on the summit. Took a couple of quick photos, but didn't tarry as our momentum was pushing us on to our finale on Skylight!

The climb from Four Corners to treeline was mostly in a stream, but it didn't seem to bother us. We did meet a couple of young guys descending, who were very excited to learn that we were about to finish. They congratulated us and bounded down the trail like mountain goats. :D

As we broke out of the trees and started to approach the summit, I realized that this was real. All the hard work, joy, fear, frustration, excitement, and fun had brought us here together. I turned to Fran, who was snapping my picture, held out my hand and said, "get up here where you belong." We walked hand in hand the last 50 yards to the summit. It was just the two of us, exactly as we had begun, August 31, 2007, on Porter. Well, not exactly the same...we're forever changed by this experience. We had the summit to ourselves for an hour on this beautiful summer day. Spent lots of time taking pictures, laughing, crying, being together, and being by ourselves -- savoring the moment and the achievement.

Fran has said a few times since that day that Skylight chose our finish for us. We were turned back on this same hike a year ago, which was a bitter disappointment. But now we can't imagine having finished anywhere else.

Here are a few pics from and of the summit:
100_4517.JPG

100_4520.JPG

100_4535.JPG

100_4545.JPG

Reluctantly we left this magical place. But we were still excited, as we were going to hike up and over Marcy on the way out! What a fun climb, and what fantastic views!
100_4548.JPG

100_4551.JPG

We arrived at the summit and found only Julia, the summit steward. She asked if we were the folks who had just finished our 46 on Skylight. Apparently the mountain goats were talking. Julia was kind enough to take our photo.
100_4553.JPG

Interestingly we were joined by two young men who had just completed their first ever Adirondack High Peak. We stayed a while longer, enjoying the fabulous views.
100_4557.JPG

At last we departed the top of New York and enjoyed a leisurely stroll back to the Loj parking lot, and a chilled growler of what we choose to call 46er IPA.

We arrived back at Random Scoots just before dark and were greeted by our hosts, inquiring how our day had been and if we had indeed finished our 46...big hugs and laughter all around! We wandered into the cabin and were so touched to find a "mountain" of fresh baked cookies, complete with a photo of Skylight, 46er patches & stickers, and a lovely note of congratulations (on 46er stationery!). A perfect ending to a perfect day!

Thank you to all of our "friends in high places" who have helped us to realize this dream.

Steve & Fran

More photos here.

Congratulations!

What a great achievement! Congratulations on your Adirondack Forty-Sixer finish on such a magnificent summit.

The Gray/Skylight tandem was the exact finish sequence for myself and my two sons as we became 46ers in 1997.

Your photos and thoughtful narrative bring back many heartfelt memories!

Best wishes to you and Fran!

Pete Hogan

Congratulations! We did that route years ago and I must say it was one of the best of my life. Since Pat and I finished the 46 on Marshall in 2005, we've wanted to go back, not least to spend more time with the wonderful New Yorkers who accompanied and encouraged us every step of the way.

So, what's next?

So, what's next?

Well, we're thinking the 46 is just a good start. :) We're working on the Catskill 35, particularly interested in getting into some real bushwhacking; Fran keeps talking about the "next round", winter 46, etc.; and we're also very interested in hiking in Vermont, N.H., and Maine, although that involves a lot more travel time, etc. Doing the 46 was a commitment with the 4.5 hour drive from the Finger Lakes area to the nearest trailheads, so the 48/67 will be even more so. I guess we know how we'll be spending our vacation time (and bucks) for the foreseeable future!

Congrats! I am very happy for you both. Funny how word get around in the mountains isn't it. Keep moving. Keep having fun. Stay healthy. :)

Congratulations to both of you. I think I saw you in the Loj parking lot Saturday morning 7/2 around 8:00am. Where were you hiking to? 2nd round start?

Congratulations to both of you. I think I saw you in the Loj parking lot Saturday morning 7/2 around 8:00am. Where were you hiking to? 2nd round start?

Yup. We were there hiking Algonquin with some friends. They continued on to Iroquois and we went back to the cabin to get stuff ready for a little party. It seemed so strange to begin and end the hike with sun above the trees. :) What did you hike that day?

We hiked Phelps on Saturday and Cliff on Sunday. Saturday was nice weather, Sunday we got a late start to miss the early AM storms, got rained on while ascending Cliff, and then the sun came out on the return to the Loj. I only have 4 peaks remaining for ADK46 round #2.