Stargazing at Baxter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andinista

Reaction score
We are heading up to Baxter at the end of the month, staying at Foster Field for a few nights. Wondering if anyone knows if there is a good area for setting up the telescope near there? Or any other suggestions of places to go within the park where we've got some open space to take advantage of the dark sky and new moon?

Thanks!

We are heading up to Baxter at the end of the month, staying at Foster Field for a few nights. Wondering if anyone knows if there is a good area for setting up the telescope near there? Or any other suggestions of places to go within the park where we've got some open space to take advantage of the dark sky and new moon?

Thanks!
No, but I see we share at least 3 hobbies: hiking, astronomy, and drinking beer! :D I have a Long Trail T-shirt with a guy hiking at night, same idea! :)

I always have either binoculars or a telescope in the car when we travel.

Good luck, let us know how it works out!

(Past President of the Mid-Hudson Astronomical Association)

There are a few picnic areas at Nesowadnehunk Camp in open areas. Just drive to the fork in the road and turn left toward the ranger station. They are on the right. It's also a good spot for moose gazing at dusk.

From Foster Field, head right down the road to Kidney Pond, there's a huge open grassy lawn there plus the pond itself all leading to a very wide view of the sky. The only catch is you might get some incidental light from the cabins.

A possibly better alternative, which will give you a wide open sky but a limited horizon, is to again head down the Kidney Pond access road, and turn right almost immediately after crossing the river. Down a short dirt road (no cars) is an emergency helicopter landing site.