Map Questions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You absolutely need to check out this WMNF map. It came out in 2009 and it is the most incredible hiking map I've ever seen to any hiking area, anywhere. I seriously mean that. I've purchased eight of them so far to give as gifts because it is so amazing. You won't believe what detail the map has (i.e. all viewpoints, waterfalls, places to find moose, the most famous restaurants, hotels. etc.)

http://www.bondcliffbooks.com/proddetail.php?prod=0-9785932-4-3

You have to buy it on a few select websites or in stores in the Whites. Amazon doesn't have it last time I checked.

Can't recommend this thing enough. It dominates the AMC WMG maps and the Map Adventures maps (those are certainly both excellent, but this new one is outstanding)

You have to buy it on a few select websites or in stores in the Whites. Amazon doesn't have it last time I checked.

Can't recommend this thing enough. It dominates the AMC WMG maps and the Map Adventures maps (those are certainly both excellent, but this new one is outstanding)
Steve has it as well, although Mike runs a great business too. :D

You absolutely need to check out this WMNF map. It came out in 2009 and it is the most incredible hiking map I've ever seen to any hiking area, anywhere. I seriously mean that.

OK - considering the amount of maps you must have looked at putting together that impressive list of "best hiking trails", I'm gonna take your word for it and throw caution to the wind and just spend the $8. Call me crazy.

Thanks for the reference...I'll continue to think about my wall map, but this looks like a good one to have too. God, I love maps.

OK - considering the amount of maps you must have looked at putting together that impressive list of "best hiking trails", I'm gonna take your word for it and throw caution to the wind and just spend the $8. Call me crazy.

Thanks for the reference...I'll continue to think about my wall map, but this looks like a good one to have too. God, I love maps.

i have that map got it at munices convenice in lincoln, I like that it has a warning if the trail is really steep or has other hazards

Although my enthusiasm is more subdued, I will totally second RoadTripper's recommendation for the Wilderness Map Company map of the Whites. Sturdy, waterproof, and excellent content. It might be the only map you ever need for the area it covers.

Although my enthusiasm is more subdued, I will totally second RoadTripper's recommendation for the Wilderness Map Company map of the Whites. Sturdy, waterproof, and excellent content. It might be the only map you ever need for the area it covers.

Two comments:
It appears that there are maps on both sides - anybody know what percent of the price of the map is in the material i.e. how much do you save by printing on both sides so the map wears out twice as fast?
The map apparently doesn't cover the entire WMNF so trailbaggers need another source - map companies tend to concentrate on popular trails where you don't even need a map and ignore the areas where better coverage is more important. [Phil Preston once wrote a guide to the western Whites and also published a map of the whole Whites - both excellent in their time but both outdated and out of print. When I asked why he didn't instead publish a guide to the North Country (which was sorely lacking then and still is), he said he would get richer selling books to 1% of the people who climbed Lafayette than 100% of those who climbed Magalloway.]

I have the maps from Map Adventures and the Wilderness Map Company. I mostly use the one from Map Adventures as the other is a bit too busy and has smaller print. I also have the AMC maps but never use them.

Follow up:

I ultimately found the Mountain Wanderer was an answer to the relief map. The Lewiston one I had seen has much of the Whites but misses some southern parts. I couldn't be happier. May get the adjacent and piece them together as one.

Because I couldn't resist, I grabbed the Wilderness Map Co map from Bondcliff Books as well. I've seen it in the White Mountain Cafe/bookstore in Gorham now as well.

Love the detail on this - I'll continue to hike with my WMG Tyveks just because, but this one is cool. It actually has the word "heck" on it. Try to find that...

Will have to check out the Map Adventures one as well soon.

I'll continue thinking about the large wall map concept...

Thanks for all the input.

Two comments:
It appears that there are maps on both sides - anybody know what percent of the price of the map is in the material i.e. how much do you save by printing on both sides so the map wears out twice as fast?

There are two reasons to print on both sides of the sheet of paper. If you have a certain size sheet of paper you can print the whole map on one side, leaving the back blank, or for the same total cost, you can print half of the map on one side and the other half on the back. You still only need one set of printing plates with both halves of the map on it. You run the same sheet of paper through the press twice, doing a flip and turn manuver. You do pay a small amount for the extra press time but it is minimal. The sheet of paper is cut in half and you have 2 maps for the price of one.
As for the map wearing out, modern synthetic or semi synthetic papers will withstand 20,000 folding and unfolding operations without failing.
The other reason is that a smaller sheet is easier to handle in the wind.